Wrestlers under scanner during general electionsApril 1st, 2009 - 5:03 pm ICT by ANI
Rohtak, Apr 1 (ANI): To keep the law and order situation under control during upcoming general elections, police in Haryana are keeping a strict vigil on wrestlers.
There are hundreds of wrestling training centers and police fear that during elections political leaders may use wrestlers as musclemen.
Police has received many complaints in the past regarding involvement of wrestlers in booth capturing and other unlawful activities during elections.
In order to prevent repetition of these activities, police prepared a list of all trainee wrestlers from different centers and are scanning their past records.
“Police will keep strict surveillance in the entire range. Those involved in anti-social and unlawful activities, including wrestlers, will be punished as per law,” said V Kamraja, Inspector General of Police.
Wrestlers, on the other hand, defend themselves.
“It is bad that wrestlers are being watched with suspicion. Everyone has the right to cast vote and express his views. But, there is no point in making this an issue,” said Ranbir Dhaka, a wrestler coach.
Dhaka added that wrestlers have brought glory to the country by winning medals in Olympics, Commonwealth and Asian games.
Khashaba Dadasaheb Jadhav, a wrestler won the first individual medal for India in 1952.
Sushil Kumar, another Indian wrestler won bronze in the men’s 66kg freestyle wrestling event at the Beijing Olympics. (ANI)
- We are getting better at Olympics: IOA - Aug 12, 2012
- Sports Minister hails bronze medallist Yogeshwar - Aug 12, 2012
- Gill inaugurates wrestling stadium for Commonwealth Games - Jul 06, 2010
- Indian wrestling has a bright future: Sports minister - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: Sushil secures silver on concluding day (India Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Sushil first to win back-to-back medals (Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- For Yogeshwar, London was 'now or never' - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Yogeshwar wins bronze, fifth Olympic medal fo India (Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
- The best Olympics for India (Review) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: All eyes on Sushil after Yogeshwar's bronze (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
- After dream medal, marriage on cards for Yogeshwar (Lead, Combining London/Chandigarh stories) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: I was hungry for this medal, says Yogeshwar - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Russian Vorobieva pins down gold - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympics: Wrestler Yogeshwar gets India bronze after hockey embarrassment (India Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
- Wrestlers under police scanner prior to Haryana polls - Oct 06, 2009
Tags: asian games, beijing olympics, commonwealth, freestyle, general elections, haryana, inspector general, law and order, medals, musclemen, olympics, political leaders, repetition, situation under control, strict surveillance, strict vigil, sushil kumar, suspicion, wrestlers, wrestling training