Wrestler Sushil Kumar wins bronze medal at Beijing OlympicsAugust 20th, 2008 - 6:13 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing, Aug 20 (ANI): Wrestler Sushil Kumar on Wednesday brought further international glory to India by winning the bronze medal at the Beijing Olympics after 56 years.
He won the medal in the men’’s 66 kilograms freestyle category, defeating Leonid Speiridonov of Kazakhistan.
Khashaba Jadhav of Karad, Maharashtra, was the last Indian wrestler to win an individual bronze in the Helsinki Olympics in 1952.
Though Sushil Kumar went down in the opening round against a dominant Ukrainian Andriy Stadnik, he won the bronze medal on technical points.
Earlier, Sushil Kumar was pegged down 3-8 on technical points.
In recognition of his achievement, the Railways announced an award of Rs.55 lakh plus a promotion. The Government of Delhi, the city from where Kumar hails, announced an award of Rs.50 lakh. The Central Government announced an award of Rs.25 lakh, while the Ministry of Sports and Youth Affairs announced a reward amount of Rs.20 lakh. The Government of Haryana announced an award of Rs.25 lakh.
This is India’’s second medal in the on going Olympics after shooter Abhinav Bindra’’s individual Gold medal in a 10 metre rifle shoot. (ANI)
- Gill inaugurates wrestling stadium for Commonwealth Games - Jul 06, 2010
- We are getting better at Olympics: IOA - Aug 12, 2012
- President, Vice President, PM congratulates Sushil Kumar - Aug 20, 2008
- PM hails Sushil Kumar; railways rewards him Rs.75 lakh (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Sports Minister hails bronze medallist Yogeshwar - Aug 12, 2012
- The best Olympics for India (Review) - Aug 12, 2012
- Indian wrestling has a bright future: Sports minister - Aug 12, 2012
- After dream medal, marriage on cards for Yogeshwar (Lead, Combining London/Chandigarh stories) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: Sushil secures silver on concluding day (India Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Sushil first to win back-to-back medals (Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Sushil Kumar to be India's flag bearer at Olympics - Jul 15, 2012
- For Yogeshwar, London was 'now or never' - Aug 12, 2012
- Wrestler Sushil grabs Olympic bronze(Lead) - Aug 20, 2008
- Olympics: All eyes on Sushil after Yogeshwar's bronze (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics medal winners Sushil, Vijender return home - Aug 26, 2008