Wrestler Sushil Kumar promotes a vegetarian lifestyleNovember 13th, 2008 - 2:58 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Nov 13 (ANI): Olympics bronze winner wrestler, Sushil Kumar teamed up with the activists of ”People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA)” to promote vegetarian lifestyle and propagate the cause of animal protection.
Roped by PETA, the vegetarian wrestler said that the misconception that vegetarians cannot be brawny should be removed. Vegetarians lead a more healthy life.
“I am a vegetarian myself and I want to send out this message to everyone that vegetarians are powerful, they have the stamina. Look at me, I defeated non-vegetarians from America and Kazakhstan in the Olympics. So, you can see that vegetarians have a lot of strength,” he added.
The debate between a vegetarian and a non-vegetarian lifestyle is an age old one.
A report by the United Nation’’s Food and Agriculture Organization has projected that world meat production will more than double to 465 million tonnes in 2050, from 229 million tonnes in 1990-91.
PETA activists quoting United Nations (UN) food and Agriculture organization say the meat industry generates more greenhouse gasses particularly methane that is responsible for almost half of the global warming impacting the planet today.
Animal agriculture produces over 100 million tones of methane a year.
The activists said that eating less beef, pork or chicken is often advocated as a way to cut emissions. (ANI)
- It pays to go veg - Aug 30, 2012
- Make Tihar Jail meat-free zone: PETA India - Nov 22, 2011
- McCartney urges Manmohan to celebrate vegetarianism - Jan 05, 2011
- Memorial Day crock pot recipes - May 28, 2012
- 5,000 tonnes of meat consumed a day in Kerala - Sep 04, 2011
- Vegans 'at lower risk of heart disease, diabetes and stroke' - Apr 14, 2011
- Meat ration for Indian soldiers hiked - Jul 02, 2011
- Madhya Pradesh minister's GM foods remark criticised - May 01, 2011
- Go vegetarian, it's healthier: Poorna - Jul 10, 2012
- Vegetarians at significantly lower heart disease, diabetes and stroke risk - Apr 16, 2011
- Kashmiris love their mutton, all 51,000 tonnes of it! - Jul 27, 2011
- PETA hails Backstreet Boys for turning vegetarian - May 24, 2011
- Go vegan for ritual: Tibetan government-in-exile - Oct 30, 2011
- Go vegetarian, urges Veena Malik - Oct 06, 2011
- Lab-grown meat would cut emissions: Study - Jun 20, 2011
Tags: 100 million, animal agriculture, animal protection, beef pork, ethical treatment of animals, food and agriculture organization, global warming, meat industry, methane, misconception, people for the ethical treatment of animals, peta activists, stamina, sushil kumar, tonnes, treatment of animals, united nation, vegetarian lifestyle, vegetarians, world meat production