World Ozone Day: Dikshit says Delhi citizens must rededicate to maintain natureSeptember 16th, 2010 - 8:13 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Sept.16 (ANI): Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit today described World Ozone Day as an important occasion to re-dedicate to maintain the balance of nature.
Speaking at a function to celebrate International Day for the preservation of the Ozone Layer organized by the Delhi Secretariat’s Environment Department, Dikshit said: ” This would help in fulfilling our commitment towards nature, which is facing a number of challenges due to climate change and our habits.”
She further stated that modernization should not lead to destruction, but must bring addition in quality of life.
Underlining the need to work without ozone depleting substances and adopt ODS-free equipments and appliances, she said depletion of the ozone layer would increase penetration of ultra violate radiation, which would have a profound impact on all living creatures including human and plant life.
Dikshit further said that every sinew must be stretched to make the Commonwealth Games a Green Games.
Chief Secretary Rakesh Mehta and Secretary (Environment) Dharmendra Kumar were also present on this occasion.
Mehta said the issue of climate change and its effects are definitely a cause of concern for entire world, and added that the Department of Environment has been sincerely working to create an atmosphere conducive to preservation and conservation of natural resources.
He said the switch over to a public transport system, and from diesel to CNG, has received acclaim throughout the world.
Dharmendra informed that the Environment Department has been taking initiatives in organizing such programs for bringing awareness.
At the end of the function, Dikshit gave away prizes to students who were participated in various competitions on this occasion.
Eco-club students present songs on environmental issues. (ANI)
- Recycled paper to be used during Commonwealth Games - Sep 17, 2009
- Need to maintain balance of nature: Sheila Dikshit - Sep 16, 2011
- Montreal Protocol can be model for climate change talks: Natarajan - Sep 16, 2011
- Proud on meeting ozone targets before time: Jairam Ramesh - Sep 16, 2010
- Ozone layer 'no longer disappearing, will return to full strength by 2048' - Sep 21, 2010
- Asia-Pacific fastest growing greenhouse gases source: UN - Jun 06, 2012
- 'Ozone layer no longer vanishing' - Sep 21, 2010
- Unprecedented Arctic ozone loss found - Oct 05, 2011
- Tripura marks World Environment Day - Jun 05, 2010
- 'India should do more research in polar regions' - Feb 03, 2011
- Delhi leading the way in combating climate change: Dikshit - Feb 21, 2011
- Dikshit issues protect nature message on 'World Earth Day' - Apr 22, 2011
- Arctic ozone layer depleted by 40 percent: Experts - Apr 06, 2011
- Dhumal administers green pledge to public - Jun 05, 2012
- Asia-Pacific must respond to climate change to survive: UNDP - May 10, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,