World Bank chief Zoellick meets ChidambaramNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:18 am ICT by admin
Zoellick’s visit, his first to India, since heading the World Bank, is aimed at taking stock of the World Bank-aided programmes in India.
On Thursday, Zoellick visited a resettlement site of the Mumbai Urban Transport Project (MUTP) launched in 2002 in Mumbai with 542 million dollars assistance from the World Bank.
The project will work on providing new rail lines, bigger bridges to ease the city’s traffic congestion, besides providing better housing for millions of slum dwellers living in makeshift huts along railway lines and roads.
Maharashtra is the second largest World Bank programme beneficiary among the Indian states with a current net commitment amounting to 1.2 billion dollars.
Since 1997, the bank’s India strategy has focused on states attempting reforms, including Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Uttar Pradesh.
According to World Bank estimates, nearly 313 million of India’s 1.07 billion people live in abject poverty, despite economic growth of around eight percent a year.
India has pledged to boost spending on health, education and rural infrastructure to help the poor, and has been actively working with the World Bank to improve the rural health sector. (ANI)
- World Bank chief Zoellick in India Monday - Mar 25, 2012
- WB chief meets PM; inks three developmental deals worth 950-mln-dollars - Nov 14, 2007
- World Bank chief reviews Mumbai Urban Transport Project - Nov 14, 2007
- World Bank to provide $1.5 bn for rural roads in India - Jan 14, 2011
- Poor infrastructure might impede India's growth: WB chief Zoellick - Nov 14, 2007
- World Bank raises aid for flood-hit Pak to one billion dollars - Sep 02, 2010
- World Bank gives $220 mn aid to flood-hit Bihar - Jan 12, 2011
- World Bank chief to visit Bihar - Dec 14, 2010
- World Bank gives $220 mn aid to flood-hit Bihar (Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- World Bank approves $430 mn loan for Mumbai rail project - Aug 19, 2010
- High prices of food, fuel threatening the poor: World Bank - Apr 14, 2011
- India seeks World Bank loan for road expansion - Nov 11, 2010
- India pioneers global plan to green economy - Oct 28, 2010
- World Bank offers Bihar $100 mn loan - Jul 09, 2012
- World Bank chief to sign pact for rebuilding flood-hit Bihar - Jan 11, 2011
Tags: abject poverty, chidambaram, health sector, help the poor, india strategy, mumbai, prime minister manmohan singh, railway lines, resettlement, rural health, slum dwellers, taking stock, transport project, urban transport, world bank chief