‘Women’s only’ bank in Jammu and KashmirMay 19th, 2009 - 6:55 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar, May 19 (ANI): Enterprising women in Jammu and Kashmir have ventured to open a women’s only bank to provide basic banking facilities and timely loans.
After witnessing various cases where major banks turned down needy women’s loan applications, the founding members of Kashmir Women’s Cooperative Bank were motivated to open their own venture.
The opening of Kashmir Women’s Cooperative Bank is expected to supplement the empowerment of womenfolk in the valley.
“Firstly it’s an exclusive bank for women. Secondly, we have opened this bank to help women belonging to weaker sections and who are working or want to start their own business. Since their requirement is less, we have started providing loans starting from rupees 20,000,” said Ashiya Saleem, Manager of Kashmir Women’s Cooperative Bank.
Apart from enabling several women to become self-reliant, the bank also counsels the account holders in managing their earnings and other assets.
The hassle free format to open a savings account is attracting many Kashmiri women.
“I save all my savings in my account here. And whenever there is requirement of loan we can easily consult the bank and easily get loan from there,” said Parveena Akhtar, a customer of Kashmir Women’s Cooperative Bank.
This bank offers loans to the needy among the ‘have-nots’. So far the Kashmir Women’s Cooperative Bank has provided loans to nearly 30 women. (ANI)
- Micro-financing empowers women in Jammu and Kashmir - Sep 09, 2012
- Tripura rural market moves towards prosperity - Jun 27, 2010
- Dehradun''s Mahila Bachat Bank provides help to needy women - Mar 11, 2009
- India's biggest women's grassroots chain connects to Africa - Jul 09, 2012
- Omar gives nod to loans schemes for youth entrepreneurs - Feb 01, 2012
- An all women savings bank in rural area of Dehradun - Mar 12, 2009
- UPA aims at women's self-reliance: Sonia - May 11, 2011
- Credit cooperative banks empowering Kashmir's rural women - Aug 25, 2010
- UPA aims at women's self reliance: Sonia (Lead) - May 11, 2011
- Bank launches beneficiary schemes for apple growers in Jammu and Kashmir - Mar 04, 2011
- Airtel, Axis Bank join hands for mobile banking - May 16, 2012
- Loans for poor to start from Badal's village - Jul 26, 2011
- Small borrowers rely on moneylenders: Study - Oct 11, 2011
- NGOs across the country awarded - Sep 18, 2010
- Herbal medicine becoming source of livelihood for Nainital women - Apr 10, 2011
Tags: assets, banks, cooperative bank, earnings, empowerment, enterprising women, hassle, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kashmiri women, loan applications, loans, needy women, nots, own business, rupees, savings account, srinagar, womenfolk