Women units of BSF to be deployed in KashmirMay 25th, 2011 - 12:09 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, May 25 (IANS) The Border Security Force (BSF) will soon deploy its women troopers along Jammu and Kashmir’s border with Pakistan to check the smuggling of arms and narcotics, a senior officer said.
“It would help us check smuggling in which women are also involved,” BSF’s Inspector General (Jammu Frontier) S. Chattopadhyay told reporters in Rajouri district Tuesday evening.
He visited the border areas of Rajouri and Poonch districts to make an assessment of the security situation.
The BSF guards the 198-km border with Pakistan. Though fenced, the border is prone to infiltration and smuggling.
The force is also deployed in some portions along the Line of Control (LoC) that divides Jammu and Kashmir between India and Pakistan, as the second line of defence, with the Indian Army being the first.
Some of the forward areas, however, are jointly patrolled and guarded by the army and BSF, especially Sunderbani, Nowshera and Saujian areas of the two hilly frontier districts along the LoC.
Chattopadhyay also said that Pakistani terrorists were waiting across the border to enter India.
“There are about 300 of them (on Jammu border side) and they have plans to target the BSF camps,” Chattopadhyay said. “But we are vigilant.”
- Ceasefire violation at LoC in J&K; - May 22, 2012
- 30 militants in Jammu's border districts: Army - Mar 22, 2012
- Dhoni visits border areas in Kashmir - Jun 02, 2012
- Dhoni meets soldiers on Kashmir border (Lead,With Image) - Jun 02, 2012
- Pakistan Army returns two Indian teenagers (Lead) - May 29, 2011
- Pakistan Army returns two Indian teenagers - May 29, 2011
- Indian soldier killed in Pakistani firing - Jun 14, 2012
- Pakistani troops violate ceasefire in Kashmir - Aug 26, 2011
- Three border villagers arrested with Pak SIMs - Sep 12, 2012
- Pak violates cease-fire in Poonch district, one soldier killed - Oct 25, 2010
- Indian Army arrests Pakistani soldier in Jammu - Jul 12, 2012
- LoC villagers get back their homes - Aug 27, 2011
- Pakistan ready for flag meeting after firing - Jun 22, 2012
- Pakistan halts firing at LoC - Jun 21, 2012
- Army foils infiltration bid in Jammu - Jun 09, 2012
Tags: border areas, border security force, bsf, forward areas, frontier, india and pakistan, indian army, infiltration, inspector general, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, line of defence, loc, narcotics, nowshera, pakistani terrorists, poonch, security situation, tuesday evening