Women in self-defense modeFebruary 27th, 2008 - 9:09 pm ICT by admin
Pune, Feb.27 (ANI): Thousands of schoolgirls and teachers in Pune District are being trained in the martial arts to defend themselves against hoodlums and eve-teasers.
About 20,000 students will be trained in the Pune region over the next four months.
The training is being imparted by Mission Prahar, which is headed Commando Deepak Dubey, Grandmaster of Kung Fu.
Thousands of students and many teachers of Pune District and its nearby areas will be trained during the next four months. Students are given seven hours of self-defense training, said Dubey.
“I have to prepare them mentally. If you are mentally prepared, you dont need to worry about the other persons physical strength. You have two hands and the person attacking you also has the same,” Deepak added.
Deepak claims that he has trained over 19 lakh girls under Mission Prahar.
Women participating in the special camp said such camps were the need of the hour to prevent crimes against women.
“This kind of training is good. When we travel in bus, we have to encounter all sorts of men, some of whom are good, while others are bad. This training is very useful,” said Aarti Patil, a teacher.
The Pune District administration decided to provide self defense training after witnessing a rise in incidents of eve-teasing, chain snatching, rape, abduction and murder.
“We want children to develop self-confidence so that none can harm them. These girls should always live with this confidence, and whenever they are attacked, they should be able to save themselves,” said Shyam Vardhane, the Chairman of the Board of District Panchayats in Pune.
Over 2,000 female students and 800 teachers have been so far. (ANI)
- Bhopal College trains girl student for self-defence - Aug 22, 2009
- Women, teenage girls undergo martial arts training in Noida - Nov 28, 2010
- Free karate training to 16 lakh girl students - Mar 23, 2010
- Dress code in colleges to stop eve-teasing draws flak - Jun 11, 2009
- Self-defence training for Agra girls - Aug 02, 2008
- Heidi Montag learning martial arts to save money on security - Dec 03, 2010
- CID honours country's real life heroes - Mar 12, 2012
- In self-defence: Delhi women get trained to fight harassment - Jun 15, 2009
- Speaking out in anger: empower students, don't ban jeans (Second Lead) - Jun 11, 2009
- Girls in Rajouri get arms training to fight militants - Jan 18, 2011
- Rhea Kapoor to adapt book again for 'Herogiri' - Mar 10, 2012
- US, Japan discuss purchase of F-35 fighters - Feb 24, 2012
- Short skirts cause women harassment: Trinamool lawmaker - Jul 28, 2012
- Japan prepares to intercept North Korean rocket - Mar 30, 2012
- Fighter's fuel tank falls to ground - Oct 07, 2011
Tags: aarti, abduction, chairman of the board, commando, defense mode, district administration, female students, four months, hoodlums, lakh, nearby areas, panchayats, physical strength, pune region, schoolgirls, self confidence, self defense, seven hours, teasers, two hands