Woman killed, 17 hurt in Jammu terror attack (Second Lead)August 11th, 2010 - 7:38 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Aug 11 (IANS) A woman was killed and 17 people, including two soldiers, were injured when terrorists ambushed three army vehicles and a civilian bus in Jammu and Kashmir’s Rajouri district Wednesday, army sources said.
Terrorists attacked the army vehicles and the bus at Dera-ki-Gali in Thana Mandi area, around 8,000 feet above sea level and about 190 km north of Jammu.
“Three army vehicles and a civilian bus came under heavy gunfire from the terrorists hiding in a maize field. Two soldiers were injured,” a senior army officer based in Nagrota, headquarters of the 16 Corps, told IANS.
A woman identified as Kiran Balla from Poonch was killed and several passengers injured in the gunfire, he said, adding that the soldiers did not retaliate.
“On whom could we have fired back. They (terrorists) took cover in the thick maize field,” the officer said.
The maize, standing more than six feet tall, is hampering search operations, he added.
But Mohammad Bashir, a resident of Thana Mandi, told IANS over phone: “The civilian bus was caught in the cross-fire between the army and militants.”
According to Bashir, the civilian casualty was caused by army fire but the army was quick to deny this saying
“Our fire was aimed at the direction of fire from terrorists,” an official said.
Such an act of terrorism is being witnessed after a long time in this area where security forces had claimed to have trounced militants and militancy.
A senior police official said on condition of anonymity: “This signals that militants have started regrouping themselves in the area.”
He said that the bigger concern was that the incident occurred close to Thana Mandi area where an army brigade is stationed.
- Woman killed, 17 injured in Jammu terror attack (Lead) - Aug 11, 2010
- Soldier, two militants killed in Kashmir gunfight - Aug 15, 2010
- Kashmir gunfight: Rains hamper army operations - Aug 16, 2010
- One killed as terrorists attack bus, army jeep in Jammu - Aug 11, 2010
- Army soldier, two terrorists killed in Rajouri gunbattle - Aug 16, 2010
- Kashmir gunfight: Search operations called off (Lead) - Aug 16, 2010
- One dead, nine injured in militants attack on Army convoy - Aug 11, 2010
- Rajouri encounter against militants ends after three days - Aug 16, 2010
- One killed, 14 injured as militants attack Army convoy in J-K - Aug 11, 2010
- 'Indian Army has not probed Kashmir shootout involving likely chief' - Jan 12, 2012
- Soldier injured, gun battle rages in Kashmir - Nov 25, 2010
- Soldier killed in militant fire in Kashmir - May 03, 2012
- Seven soldiers killed in Pakistan - Mar 10, 2012
- Officer, soldier killed in Kashmir gunfight (Lead) - May 05, 2010
- Two BSF soldiers injured in Pakistani firing - Aug 07, 2012
Tags: army fire, army officer, army sources, army vehicles, balla, bashir, cross fire, feet above sea level, gali, heavy gunfire, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, maize field, militants, police official, search operations, security forces, six feet, terror attack, two soldiers