Woman arrested for attempting to barge inside Sabarimala TempleNovember 18th, 2007 - 8:10 pm ICT by admin
Thiruvananthapuram, Nov 18 (ANI): A woman was today arrested in front of Sabarimala Temple in Kerala, as she attempted to gatecrash into the revered hill shrine, where entry of women is barred.
Shelvi, a native of Pondicherry, was arrested just 50 meters away from the holy ‘18 steps’ as she tried to breach the temple’s security, and was taken into custody for further investigations.
It may be recalled that just one and a half year back a major controversy erupted when a Kannada film actress named Jaimala claimed to have entered the sanctum sanctorum and touched the celibate idol.
In past few years many women have been arrested at Pampa while trying to sneak into the temple.
Women past their puberty are not allowed entry into the temple, and many women groups oppose this.
Thousands of Hindu devotees visit Sabarimala Temple during the festival known as Mandalam-Makarivilakku, which begins from the first day of Malayalam month Vrischikom in mid-November (November 16 this year) and culminates in the third week of January.
The temple situated atop the Sabarimala hill is at about 4,000 feet above sea level. One has to brave an arduous trek of more than six kilometres to reach the temple at the top and pass through dense thickets of forest.
Pilgrims from all over the country throng the hill shrine. (ANI)
- Kerala court quashes charge sheet in Sabarimala case - Jul 13, 2012
- Sabarimala temple averse to suggestion on widening steps, door - Jul 17, 2010
- Actress Jaimala gets court summons in Sabarimala case - Jul 15, 2011
- Court offers reprieve to Kannada actress in temple case - Oct 13, 2011
- 'Temple rules must not be changed': Kerala devotees - Apr 17, 2011
- Sabarimala: Pilgrims discover Q-coupon booking virtues - Nov 19, 2011
- Sabarimala pilgrimage begins - Nov 17, 2011
- Supreme Court sends Sabarimala temple case to a larger bench - Mar 07, 2008
- After 2,000 years, temple allows women into sanctum sanctorum - Apr 15, 2011
- Kannada actor not to be arrested in Sabarimala case - Nov 15, 2010
- Sabarimala priest's grandson to take temple body to court - Dec 15, 2011
- Apex court notice on entry to Kalighat temple - May 15, 2012
- Apex court permits access to Kalighat temple's sanctum sanctorum - May 21, 2012
- Apex court permits access to Kalighat temple's sanctum sanctorum (Lead) - May 21, 2012
- Apex court issues notices on Kalighat temple entry (Lead) - May 15, 2012
Tags: arduous trek, breach, celibate, dense thickets, feet above sea level, film actress, half year, hindu devotees, kannada film, malayalam, november november, pampa, pondicherry, sabarimala temple, sanctum sanctorum, temple women, thiruvananthapuram, throng, woman arrested