White tigress gives birth to triplets at Indore ZooMarch 8th, 2009 - 1:37 pm ICT by ANI
Indore, Mar 8 (ANI): Three white cubs have been born to a white tigress at the Indore Zoo in Madhya Pradesh.
Authorities were delighted as tigress Sita gave birth to the white cubs. She was mated with a brown tiger.
“It has happened for first time in the state that a white tigress has given birth to cubs of her own colour,” said Anil Jindal, zoo in-charge.
Sita was brought to the zoo last year.
According to the WWF, there are only about 4,000 tigers left in the world and are considered an endangered species.
India holds over half the world’’s tiger population. According to the latest tiger census report released on February 12, 2008 by the National Tiger Conservation Authority, the current tiger population stands at 1,411.
The results include figures from 16 tiger states and are exclusive of Jharkhand and Sunderbans. The state of West Bengal was covered only partially (i.e. North Bengal) during the census.
White tigers are rare because they suffer from a genetic condition that strips their fur of the orange pigment, leaving the animal with snow-white fur, black stripes and blue eyes. (ANI)
- White tigress gives birth to three cubs in Tamil Nadu - Apr 09, 2009
- Four tiger cubs born in Chhattisgarh zoo - Jun 22, 2011
- Tiger count up in India, but habitat shrinks (Roundup) - Mar 28, 2011
- Five tiger cubs die in Odisha's Nandankanan zoo - Nov 18, 2011
- India's tiger count rises to 1,706, habitat shrinking (Second Lead) - Mar 28, 2011
- Sunderbans was the biggest challenge for tiger census: Ramesh - Mar 28, 2011
- Kanha tigress finds new home in Panna forest - Mar 27, 2011
- Another tiger cub dies in Bihar - Sep 03, 2012
- Steps mooted to protect straying Ranthambore Park tigers - Mar 29, 2011
- At 1,706, India's tiger count up 12 percent (Lead) - Mar 28, 2011
- Tiger cub dies, two others critical - Aug 29, 2012
- Injured tigress dies at Jim Corbett National Park - Apr 02, 2011
- Third tiger cub at Patna zoo also dead - Sep 04, 2012
- India's tiger count rises to 1,706 - Mar 28, 2011
- Tiger census by February: Ramesh - Dec 29, 2010
Tags: 411, blue eyes, brown tiger, census report, conservation authority, cubs, endangered species, february 12, genetic condition, half the world, jharkhand, north bengal, orange pigment, sita, state of west bengal, tiger conservation, tiger population, triplets, white tigers, white tigress