What defines masculinity for menAugust 27th, 2008 - 3:08 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, August 27 (ANI): An international study has revealed that most men think that being seen as an honourable, self-reliant, and respected person is what defines masculinity rather than being seen as attractive, sexually active or successful with women.
Published in the Journal of Sexual Medicine, the study included interviews with over 27,000 randomly selected men from eight countries, namely Germany, U.S., U.K., Spain, Brazil, Mexico, Italy and France.
About 16 per cent of the subjects reported erectile problems.
The study revealed that the men more frequently ranked good health, harmonious family life and good relationships with their wife or partner as more important to their quality of life than material, self-fulfilling or purely sexual concerns.
There was no significant difference in rankings of masculinity and quality of life characteristics between men with and without erectile dysfunction.
“Many meanings, positive and negative, are attached to the term, ”masculinity”. To ask a large sample of men what comprises their own sense of masculinity is very useful for both the media and for research. These results suggest we should pay attention and ask rather than presume we know,” said Julia Heiman, director of The Kinsey Institute at Indiana University and an author of this study. (ANI)
- Lady killer or sexually active tag no longer macho: Survey - Aug 27, 2008
- Cuddling vital for long-term happiness among couples - Jul 05, 2011
- Staggering 26 pct of Chinese men suffer from erectile dysfunction - Jul 12, 2010
- Men's potency crashes when wives bond with male buddies - Aug 09, 2011
- Diabetes impairs but does not halt sex among older adults with the disease - Aug 27, 2010
- Depressed men with erectile dysfunction face cardio problems - Jul 13, 2010
- Erectile dysfunction a sign of heart disease: Study - Jun 21, 2010
- Depressed men with erectile dysfunction face cardio problems - Jul 14, 2010
- Giving up smoking gives sex lives a lift, study finds - Aug 23, 2010
- One in four Chinese men impotent: Study - Jul 12, 2010
- Hepatitis C therapy impairs sexual function in men - Sep 01, 2009
- Hair loss drug may result in loss of libido in men - Jan 12, 2011
- Viagra 'doesn't work for men with low testosterone' - Sep 25, 2010
- Erectile dysfunction may lead to heart disease - Jun 21, 2010
- Protein may help cure erectile dysfunction after surgery - Jun 09, 2010