West Bengal’’s madrassas attracting Hindu studentsJanuary 30th, 2009 - 6:21 pm ICT by ANI
Kolkota, Jan 29 (ANI): Hindu students are making a bee line for madrassas in West Bengal, as these institutions have shifted their focus to modern subjects, including science and technology.
In West Bengal, 558 Government registered madrassas are imparting modern and scientific education. Arabic is also being taught as an extra subject.
“Our syllabus is similar to the secondary level syllabus… only 200 marks for Arabic are extra. So I think there is no problem in admitting (non-Muslim) children to our Madrassa,” said Sohrab Hussain, the President of the West Bengal Board of Madrassa Education.
A non-Muslim teacher at the Madrassa said all students are being treated equally.
“There is no differentiation between Hindus and Muslims. We walk, talk, eat and sit together. Everyone stays in harmony,” said Rupashi Biswas, a student of the Arizillapur Siddiquia High Madrassa.
Madrassas in West Bengal are trying to become secular and are also providing vocational training to students. (ANI)
- Nurseries of tolerance: Hindus in Islamic seminaries (Feature) - Jul 07, 2011
- More Hindus than Muslims in some West Bengal madrassas! (Lead) - Jan 20, 2009
- Wrong to say madrassas hub of terrorism: Author - Aug 12, 2011
- Quran and computers: Azamgarh madrassa with a modern touch (Feature) - Jul 08, 2011
- A progressive madrassa in the heart of Uttar Pradesh (With Image) - Dec 30, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh mosques double up as primary schools (With Image) - Feb 07, 2012
- Hindus outnumber Muslims in some West Bengal madrasas - Jan 20, 2009
- Government recognition a silver lining for Bengal's madrassas? - Apr 23, 2012
- Madrassas help students make sense of the world (Comment) - Apr 20, 2012
- Madrassa reform proposal evokes mixed response - Jul 15, 2009
- Assam joins Pearson Group for skill training in schools - Jul 21, 2012
- Programme to train 150 million school drop-outs - Oct 08, 2011
- Bihar to bring IT to madrassas - Jun 26, 2012
- Is Mamata trying to make Marx & Engels history in Bengal? - Apr 06, 2012
- Pakistani Muslim scholars to preach peace - Aug 02, 2011
Tags: arabic, bee line, differentiation, harmony, hindu students, hindus and muslims, institutions, jan 29, level syllabus, madrassa, madrassas, muslim children, muslim teacher, science and technology, scientific education, vocational training, west bengal