West Bengal tribals call for 12-hour strike over development demandsDecember 29th, 2010 - 10:29 pm ICT by ANI
Siliguri (West Bengal), Dec.29 (ANI): The Akhil Bharatiya Adivasi Vikas Parishad (ABAVP), an outfit working for the welfare of tribal community, called for a 12-hour strike in West Bengal’s Siliguri District on Wednesday demanding development work for the upliftment of their community.
Shouting slogans against the state government for the lack of growth done for the development of tribal community in the region, the protestors highlighted the fact that the politicians show their concern only during elections.
“We want to say that it has been 63 years of Independence but the tribal community is still left deprived a lot. The state government officials have organised a book fair in our region but we protest against this and we have called for a 12-hour strike and we want that our strike to be peaceful and to go off well,” said Suresh Kerkata, a leader of ABAVP.
The members of ABAVP were protesting against the ‘Adivasi (Tribal) State Conference’ to be held in the region being attended by Communist Party of India - Marxist (CPI-M) MP Brinda Karat, as they said the politicians had organised the conference only to influence the tribal community for votes as elections were nearby.
The protestors shutdown markets and blocked roads. (ANI)
- Upset over panel report, GJM threatens to renew agitation (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Upset over panel report, GJM threatens to renew agitation (Second Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Shutdown in Bengal's Terai, Dooars evokes mixed response - Apr 23, 2012
- Violent clashes, arson mark shutdown in Bengal's Terai, Dooars (Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- CPI-M to Mamata: Can't evade responsibility on Terai, Doars row - Apr 23, 2012
- Gorkha group withdraws shutdown call in Darjeeling - Jun 24, 2010
- CRPF deployed on second day of Gorkha group's shutdown - May 16, 2010
- Tribals call for a 24-hour strike in Bengal - Feb 06, 2009
- Good turnout in Darjeeling hills, boycott in two Siliguri booths - Apr 30, 2009
- Darjeeling gearing up for assembly polls - Mar 26, 2011
- New state will be Gorkha Adivasi Pradesh, says Gurung - May 31, 2010
- Tribal outfit undecided on supporting creation of separate Gorkha state - Jul 12, 2010
- West Bengal's tribal body to boycott polls - Apr 01, 2009
- Patience, says Congress, amid presidential suspense (Roundup) - May 04, 2012
- Moderate to brisk polling in Bengal, landmine blast injures one (Lead) - Apr 30, 2009
Tags: akhil, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, development demands, elections, mp, politicians, protestors, slogans, state government officials, tribal community, tribal state, upliftment, welfare, west bengal