West Bengal tea workers demand hike in wagesJune 7th, 2010 - 6:01 pm ICT by ANI
Siliguri (West Bengal), June 7 (ANI): The Coordination Committee of the Tea Workers Union observed a 24-hours strike in West Bengal’s Siliguri District on Monday demanding hike in wages.
The Defence Committee of Plantation Workers Rights (DCPWR) also participated in the strike.
The Coordination Committee has called the strike on the nine-point charter citing different demands for the workers.
“Today’s strike is called by The Coordination Committee. Except Progressive Tea Workers all the unions have participated. Our strike is a success. Our demands are hike in wages, medical facility in hospital,” said Prakash Jha, leader of the Coordination Committee.
He said that the committee has been demanding the implementation of basic needs of the workers, like increase in the wage rate of the workers, repair of their quarters and to open the closed tea gardens.
Jha said that the workers were only getting a pittance as of rupees 67 as wages.There are about 350 tea gardens in Terai-Doars region, and 92 gardens in Darjeeling hills, employing nearly 350000 workers. (ANI)
- Gorkha union lifts embargo on Darjeeling tea export - Mar 30, 2011
- Gorkha Janmukti Morcha continues tea export ban - Mar 22, 2011
- Darjeeling Dooars, Terai tea gardens to lose over Rs.220 crore - Aug 11, 2011
- GJM activists kick off relay hunger strike over separate Gorkhaland demand - May 10, 2010
- Impoverished kids forced to work in Siliguri tea-estates - Mar 05, 2010
- Love your morning cuppa? Get ready to pay more - Feb 09, 2012
- Duncan not to hike tea prices: Goenka - Dec 20, 2011
- Mamata to crack whip on 'free-for-all' shutdowns - Aug 12, 2011
- Darjeeling tea workers on strike over wage increase - Aug 12, 2008
- Protests for separate Gorkhaland continue in Siliguri - Jan 30, 2010
- Tea gardens strike in West Bengal deferred - Aug 18, 2008
- West Bengal tea garden workers get wage hike - Aug 23, 2008
- 101 tribal couples tie nuptial knot in Siliguri at mass wedding ceremony - May 24, 2010
- Protests in Siliguri over death of two GJM members - Feb 13, 2011
- Tea garden workers on strike over money - Aug 11, 2008
Tags: charter, coordination committee, darjeeling hills, defence committee, implementation, medical facility, pittance, plantation workers, quarters, rupees, tea gardens, unions, wage rate, wages, west bengal, workers union