West Bengal reports fresh bird flu outbreakMarch 16th, 2009 - 3:10 pm ICT by ANI
Panigatha (West Bengal), Mar 16 (ANI): A month after authorities claimed that it was contained, bird flu has resurfaced in West Bengal’’s Darjeeling district.
Culling operations in West Bengal to contain the third outbreak had ended barely a month ago.
The epicentre has been detected as Bora Changa in the same region.
West Bengal officials said they had begun culling about 11,000 poultry after the fourth outbreak was confirmed on Sunday near Siliguri town. “We have started culling operation on the basis of notification made by the Government. Bora-Changa epicentre was declared again affected and accordingly we have started our operation. We hope so it will be completed in the next three to four days,” said Dhruba Chakrabarty, state observer, animal husbandry division.
Samples of blood have been sent to High Security Animal Disease Laboratory in Bhopal.
Earlier in January, bird flu outbreaks were reported in Siliguri and adjacent areas and more than 30,000 birds were culled.
Buying and selling of chicken have been banned within 10 kilometre of the affected area to avoid further spread of the disease.
Hundreds of thousands of birds had been culled in Assam and Meghalaya after bird flu was detected in November.
Bird flu first broke out in India in 2006. Millions of chicken and ducks have been culled since to contain the virus. (ANI)
- Experts to study cause of bird flu outbreak - Mar 17, 2012
- India confirms bird flu in Bengal, PM concerned - Sep 20, 2011
- Culling of birds starts in Bengal - Sep 20, 2011
- Tripura begins culling to contain bird flu - Jan 27, 2012
- Avian flu reported in Tripura, over 3,000 ducks being culled - Feb 18, 2011
- Tripura on fresh bird flu alert, bans poultry imports - Nov 19, 2011
- Bird flu: Culling begins in Tripura - Mar 08, 2011
- Chicken culling starts, as bird flu strikes Tripura - Mar 08, 2011
- Disinfection in Meghalaya bird flu-hit area completed - Jan 22, 2012
- Meghalaya culls 5,000 birds - Jan 18, 2012
- Bird flu resurfaces in Tripura - Jan 25, 2012
- Bangladesh culls 14,000 birds - Dec 20, 2011
- Poultry culling begins in Meghalaya - Jan 12, 2012
- Bird flu case surfaces in Bhubaneswar - Feb 04, 2012
- Culling continues in avian flu-hit district of Meghalaya - Jan 13, 2012
Tags: animal disease, animal husbandry, assam, bird flu, bird flu outbreak, bird flu outbreaks, birds, changa, culling, darjeeling district, disease laboratory, ducks, epicentre, flu, high security, hundreds of thousands, kilometre, meghalaya, poultry, west bengal