West Bengal Finance Minister to meet Pranab Mukherjee todayJune 2nd, 2009 - 12:22 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 2 (ANI): West Bengal’s Finance Minister, Dr. Ashim Dasgupta, will meet Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee today and submit a report on the recent devastation caused by cyclone Aila in the state.
The West Bengal Government has already asked the Centre to release thousand crore rupees from the National Calamity Fund and declare the cyclone devastation a national disaster.
Earlier, West Bengal Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee had discussed post-Aila relief with Dasgupta on May 29.
Dasgupta’s visit to Delhi is seen as crucial, especially after Railways Minister Mamata Banerjee urged the Centre not to disburse any central funds to the State Government but to panchayats.
The cyclone hit the coastal areas of West Bengal.
At least 5.1 million people were displaced, with more than a million people left stranded in the Sundarbans alone. Hundreds of thousands of houses were also destroyed.
At least 125 people are reported to have died. A total of 71.64 tonnes of relief material was airlifted to different camps and 25 passengers were transported to safe spot. (ANI)
- Buddhadeb visits West Bengal cyclone relief camps - Jun 02, 2009
- West Bengal seeks fund for Sundarbans - Feb 18, 2011
- Central team surveys cyclone-hit Sundarbans - Jun 09, 2009
- Aila must be declared national disaster: Left Front - Jun 09, 2009
- Buddhadeb demands more funds for cyclone relief - Jun 20, 2009
- GJM demands relief for cyclone-hit Darjeeling - Jun 03, 2009
- Battered but still balloting, Sundarbans shows way - Apr 28, 2011
- Post Aila, Buddha demands Rs.10 bn central aid - May 29, 2009
- Hit by Aila, cyclone survivors scoff at Buddhadeb (Lead) - Jun 02, 2009
- Left Front wants cyclone Aila to be declared a national calamity - Jun 09, 2009
- Buddhadeb urges Sundarbans locals to re-build damaged embankments - Jun 02, 2009
- IAF helicopters complete relief work in West Bengal - May 31, 2009
- Central team starts for cyclone ravaged areas - Jun 06, 2009
- Bengal to acquire land for building river embankments - Jun 04, 2011
- 26 Bengal ministers lose in elections - May 14, 2011
Tags: aila, ashim, bhattacharjee, chief minister, coastal areas, crore rupees, cyclone, dasgupta, devastation, mamata banerjee, national calamity, national disaster, New Delhi, pranab mukherjee, railways, relief material, safe spot, state government, union finance minister, west bengal government