Wesley Snipes jailed for three years for tax evasionApril 25th, 2008 - 3:54 pm ICT by admin
Washington, Apr 25 (ANI): American actor Wesley Snipes has been sentenced to three years imprisonment, following failure to file his tax returns.
The 45-year-old actor was convicted for failing to file a tax return from 1999 through 2001, by a federal court in February. He was accused of owing a total of 41 million dollars in taxes, of which he paid 5 dollars at the sentencing.
U.S. District Judge William Terrell Hodges announced the punishment in an Ocala, Fla., courtroom.
After the judgement, Snipes said, “I’m very sorry for my mistakes and errors. I apologize to my family, the court and the community.
“I’ve asked the court to show me mercy and the opportunity to make things right,” he added.
The Blade star, however, was cleared off from the serious charges of conspiracy to defraud the government and filing a false claim for a 7 million dollar refund both felonies, as well as three similar counts of failure to file returns for the years 2002, 2003 and 2004.
The defence, on the contrary, has sought probation rather than prison time.
“Wesley Snipes is not a dangerous man who needs to be imprisoned to protect the public,” said Snipes’ attorney in his sentencing memo. (ANI)
- Wesley Snipes to serve 3-year jail term - Nov 20, 2010
- "Blade" Star Wesley Snipes Ordered To Serve Three Years In Prison - Nov 20, 2010
- Actor Wesley Snipes ordered to begin three-year prison term - Nov 20, 2010
- Judge Postpones Wesley Snipes' Prison Sentence - Aug 26, 2010
- Wesley Snipes ordered to begin 3-yr prison term for tax evasion - Dec 02, 2010
- Wesley Snipes Wishes A Fresh Trial On Tax Evasion Charges - Jun 27, 2010
- Wesley Snipes' appeal against tax evasion sentence denied - Jul 17, 2010
- Kenneth Starr's arrest may aid the Wesley Snipes tax evasion case - Jun 27, 2010
- Wesley Snipes waits for his surrender date - Aug 24, 2010
- Wesley Snipes begins 3-yr prison term for tax evasion - Dec 10, 2010
- Court Upholds Tax Sentence Of Wesley Snipes - Jul 19, 2010
- Wesley Snipes Tax Evasion Case Gets New Twist - Jun 27, 2010
- Wesley Snipes' lawyers file fresh appeal against his 3-year prison term - Dec 18, 2010
- Cage, Rourke finalised for 'Expendables 3' - Aug 15, 2012
- Snipes faces international travel ban pending appeal in tax evasion case - Mar 26, 2009
Tags: american actor, blade, conspiracy, contrary, courtroom, dangerous man, district judge, dollar refund, felonies, imprisonment, judge william, judgement, million dollars, ocala, prison time, probation, tax evasion, tax return, wesley snipes, william terrell