Wendy Richards Big Brother race row coming back to haunt herSeptember 4th, 2008 - 7:04 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept 4 (ANI): English actress Wendy Richard claims that the Big Brother race row she started is making her feel ill.
Richard, who had sparked outrage with her Chinese comments directed at Thai housemate Kat Kasisopa, says that she is devastated by the hue and cry because of her remarks.
The actress went on to claim that she had been influenced by outdated portrayals of the Chinese from books of her childhood.
Her appearance on the E4 programme caused an outcry from fans and TV watchdog Ofcom has also received complaints, and the comments have also gone global on websites and were debated as far away as Thailand.
“I”m so upset, I”m so close to tears. I feel ill. I can”t believe such a brouhaha has started up. What I was trying to convey is that Kat did not betray her thoughts about what was going on in the house all of the time, the Daily Mirror quoted the 65-year-old as telling London radio station LBC.
“I have just been told by an American friend that Oriental is considered offensive in the US and I did not know that. I didn”t mean to cause offence.
“It’’s a long time since I was at school but I was thinking of those Arthur Conan Doyle books with Sherlock Holmes when it was the inscrutable Chinese.
“My agent rang to say there was a small problem. With live television, you have to get your words out and you only have a certain amount of time.
“It has upset me a lot, she added. (ANI)
- UK Big Brother lands in the centre of another race row - Sep 03, 2008
- Sherlock Holmes returns - from Nepal - Jun 18, 2010
- Anthony Horowitz vows to keep Sherlock Holmes 'exactly' the same - Jan 19, 2011
- James Bond, Sherlock Holmes to be resurrected in new novels - Jan 18, 2011
- Wendi wins Chinese bloggers' hearts, fending Murdoch - Jul 20, 2011
- Classic e-novels sales surge this Christmas - Dec 27, 2010
- Sherlock Holmes book goes digital on iPhone, iPad - Feb 18, 2011
- Racism row again hits an Indian on 'Big Brother' - Jul 11, 2012
- Ex-mistress Michelle McGee urges Jesse James' fiancee to 'run for her life' - Jan 26, 2011
- Jude Law didn't know anything about Sherlock Holmes! - Jan 06, 2010
- ebook gadgets help popularise literary classics - Dec 27, 2010
- 'Sherlock Holmes' was grumpy: Downey Jr. - Aug 29, 2011
- Fake account of Murdoch's wife Wendi Deng fools Twitter - Jan 04, 2012
- Homosexual Holmes, Watson in sequel? - Jan 04, 2010
- Rosie Huntington-Whiteley wants to go ugly - Jul 04, 2011