Weeklong workshop for physically disabled held in GangtokDecember 23rd, 2007 - 8:14 pm ICT by admin
Gangtok, Dec 23 (ANI): A non-government organisation of Sikkim in association with a Jaipur organisation organised a week-long workshop at Zero Point here to provide free artificial limbs and callipers to the physically-challenged in Sikkim.
Organised by the Sikkim Viklang Sahayata Samiti (SVSS) in association with Bhagwan Mahavir Viklang Sahayata Samiti (BMVSS) of Jaipur, the eight-day workshop commenced last Monday (December 17) and will conclude on (Monday) December 24.
“We have affiliated ourselves with Jaipur Foot and now we organise this workshop every 2-3 years. The materials and appliances are brought from Jaipur and so are the technicians, said Draupdi Ghimiray, President of Sikkim Viklang Sahayata Samiti (SVSS), the non-government organisation.
We give free limbs and other things to all the handicapped and orthopaedic patients coming here. We have centres in northeast region along with Sikkim. Patients from all over the city along with places like Tripura, Shillong, Sikkim, Orissa and Nagaland, Darjeeling, Kalimpong do come,” Draupadi added.
On the first day (Dec.17), at least 15 physically handicapped persons from Timi Tarku, Lingdong Subuk and adjoining places received artificial limbs and had them fixed besides getting callipers.
The physically disabled people visiting the workshop-cum-camp expressed their gratitude to the hosts and happiness for being helped by this workshop.
“I am very happy that they are making these parts for free. It’s a good work, and that is why I came here,” said Sonam Tenzing, a physically disabled.
Already 400 limbs and hands have been installed, while the authorities believe that the number may rise to 500 in the next workshop-cum-camp since handicapped people from all over the North Eastern regions are expected to come. (ANI)
- Rajiv Gandhi Sadbhavana award for D.R. Mehta - Aug 04, 2012
- Jaipur Foot to help sports star who lost leg - Apr 17, 2011
- Sonia seeks action in Assam violence, northeastern people's mistreatment (Lead) - Aug 19, 2012
- Jaipur foot for Sri Lankan amputees - Mar 12, 2010
- Iraqi amputees to wear Jaipur Foot - Mar 15, 2010
- Indian experts in Sri Lanka with Jaipur Foot (Lead) - Mar 12, 2010
- Jaipur NGO holds limb fitment camp in Iraq - Apr 25, 2010
- Iraqi nationals learn to make 'Jaipur Foot' - Sep 23, 2010
- 3.6 lakh disabled in Kashmir, many protest raw deal - May 25, 2011
- Kashmir disabled observe black day (Dec 3 is World Disabled Day) - Dec 03, 2011
- BRO provides free artificial limbs to victims of militant attacks in J-K - Oct 29, 2010
- AIIMS gets notice for not giving amputees artificial limbs - Feb 29, 2012
- Give blast victims artificial limbs in 3 weeks, AIIMS told - Mar 01, 2012
- Promise to make Delhi more disabled-friendly - Jul 31, 2009
- Jaipur Foot travels to Afghanistan - Apr 18, 2008
Tags: 3 years, appliances, artificial limbs, callipers, darjeeling, december 17, disabled people, eastern regions, government organisation, gratitude, happiness, jaipur, last monday, nagaland, orissa, orthopaedic patients, shillong, sikkim, weeklong workshop, zero point