Water to soon cost as much, if not more than electricity in DelhiDecember 1st, 2009 - 4:47 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Dec.1 (ANI): Residents of Delhi may soon find water costing as much, if not more than electricity, as the Delhi Government on Tuesday announced new tariff slabs for water supply. Water supply charges have increased from nearly one-and-a-half to almost three times the prevailing prices.
According to the new slabs, for 10,000 litres of water will cost Rs.82, for 10,000 to 20,000 litres; Rs. 470, and for 20,000 litres and above usage; Rs.180.
The new rates will come into effect from January 1,2010. It also necessitates for all to have a meter in place till Dec.31,2009.
The tariff was last increased in 2005.
Due to a lot of water meters in the city being defunct and many water connections unmetered, the residents were charged on average consumption basis.
The cash-strapped Delhi Jal Board (DJB) took the decision to revise its tariff rates at a board meeting held on Monday.
- Steep hike in water tariff from January: Dikshit - Dec 01, 2009
- Water crisis in Delhi as Haryana cuts supply (With Image) - Jun 16, 2012
- Dikshit, DJB officers issued notice on water meters - Jun 04, 2012
- Ensure adequate drinking water supplies: Dikshit to DJB - Jun 13, 2012
- Dikshit justifies water tariff hike - Sep 17, 2011
- Private firms to provide 400 water tankers in Delhi - Jul 10, 2012
- Supply to Delhi water plant improves - Jun 17, 2012
- Dikshit urged to get drinking water in primary schools - Nov 10, 2011
- Delhi seeks Japanese agency's help to end water crisis - Apr 06, 2011
- 'No increase in drug resistance in cholera bacteria' - Apr 13, 2011
- Checks on to ensure water quality: Delhi Jal Board - Jun 20, 2011
- Reduce water supply to VVIP areas: Dikshit to DJB - Jun 18, 2012
- Delhi Jal Board gets notice over contaminated supply - Aug 02, 2011
- Water tariff to be hiked by over 50 percent: Dikshit (Lead) - Dec 01, 2009
- Delhi government to supply free chlorine tablets (Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
Tags: board meeting, consumption, delhi government, delhi jal board djb, electricity, jal, january 1, lot of water, New Delhi, slabs, supply charges, supply water, tariff rates, three times, water connections, water meters, water supply