Water crisis forces forest officials to set up artificial pondsMay 4th, 2010 - 6:09 pm ICT by ANI
Haridwar (Uttarakhand), May 4 (ANI): Authorities in Uttarakhand’s Rajaji National Park have created artificial lakes and ponds to make water available to animals during the scorching summer.
The shortage of water is so severe that the national park’s water bodies have dried up, and some animals have died.
According to M S Negi, Range Officer of Rajaji National Park, acute water shortage is posing a serious threat to animals, as they have to walk long distances for it.
“Less rainfall during the monsoon and no rainfall during the winters have caused this shortage of water. Water sources are on the verge of drying. Due to this, there is a huge problem of water for the animals and if there is no rainfall in the next few weeks then it will be a big problem for them,” said Negi.
“We have made arrangements (for the animals). We have dug ponds with JCP machines and made water available for the animals, so that they don’t have to go out of the forest,” he added.
The Rajaji National Park is spread over an area of 820 square kilometers and is home to 23 species of mammals and 315 species of birds, which include Asian elephants, tiger, king cobra, panther, Bear, Chital, Sambar, Wild Boar, Kakar, Python, Monitor Lizard, Wild Cats and many more. (ANI)
- With 200 tigers, Corbett turns a proud 75 (With Image) - Sep 11, 2011
- 17 anicuts to be built in Sariska Tiger Reserve - Feb 23, 2011
- Panther dies of thirst in Rajasthan heat - May 30, 2012
- Sariska to get two Ranthambore tiger cubs - Jul 29, 2011
- Rajasthan wildlife sanctuaries in troubled waters - Apr 11, 2010
- Rajasthan to dig ponds in water-starved sanctuaries - May 25, 2010
- Tiger found dead in Sariska - Nov 15, 2010
- Gir lion sanctuary closed due to breeding season - Jun 16, 2010
- With relocated tigers, Sariska throbs again - Oct 04, 2010
- Eye on tiger: Satellites to track Sariska's big cats - Jul 14, 2011
- Intruding wild boars annoy Zardari's staff - Feb 19, 2012
- Poisoning may have killed Sariska tiger: Minister - Nov 17, 2010
- Wild animals kill 22 in Himachal - Mar 21, 2012
- Discover magic of Rajaji Park's jumbo haven (IANS Travel) (With images) - Mar 26, 2011
- Animals dying as water sources dry up in Rajasthan - Jun 01, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,