Was KGB interrogation behind dailys retraction of Putins marriage story?April 19th, 2008 - 1:12 pm ICT by admin
London, Apr 19 (ANI): After little-known Moscow newspaper the Moscow Korrespondent reported Russian President Vladimir Putins plans to divorce his wife and marry a former gymnast Alina Kabaeva, officers of the Federal Security Service, the successor to the Russian intelligence agency KGB, reportedly went twice to interrogate the papers editor about sources behind the story.
Yesterday, the paper had admitted that the story had no factual basis after Aleksandr Lebedev, the billionaire owner of the newspaper, challenged staff to back up the claims or apologize.
So alluring was the report of romance between Putin and Alina that publications all over Europe rushed to reprint a little-known Moscow newspapers report that the former KGB officer had divorced his wife Lyudmila secretly and would marry his lover on June 15.
Putin (55) angrily reacted to a question about the rumours, saying: In what you said, there is not one word of truth. I have always reacted negatively to those who with their snotty noses and erotic fantasies prowl into others lives.
He noted that the lives of politicians were rightly visible to all but added: There are limits and I have a private life in which I do not permit interference. It must be respected.
Alina (24) was noted for her extreme flexibility as a gymnast and won a gold medal in the 2004 Athens Olympics. She was dubbed one of Putins babes after reports that the President had ordered his party United Russia to put her and other young women on its candidate list to give the pro-Kremlin party a sexier image in the elections last year. Ms Kabaeva, who has modeled naked, swathed in furs, now sits in the Duma, while United Russia elected Putin as its leader this week. (ANI)
- 'Macho-man' Putin to marry sexy 24-yr-old gymnast Alina Kabaeva? - Sep 20, 2010
- Russian media tycoon sells radio stations - May 17, 2012
- Vladimir Putin's 'girlfriend' gives birth to his first son - Dec 16, 2009
- Vladimir Putin's 'mistress' denies she gave birth to his baby - Jan 24, 2011
- Putin's alleged mistress, his love child 'vanish' - Feb 08, 2010
- Alina Kabaeva Gives Birth To Baby Boy - Dec 18, 2009
- Alina Kabaeva On "Vogue" Cover, Vladimir Putin Terrified? - Dec 15, 2010
- Olympic champion gymnast Kanaeva: I won't quit yet - Sep 13, 2012
- Putin a wife-beater while in KGB: German spy agency - Nov 03, 2011
- Putin's 'mistress' planning to release Barbie-style doll of herself - Jan 20, 2011
- Putin confirms Medvedev to be PM, given election win - Dec 02, 2011
- For four years, Putin refused to talk to Britain - Sep 09, 2011
- Putin has $180,000 in bank savings - Dec 23, 2011
- Pro-Kremlin groups to stage 26 rallies in Moscow - Mar 04, 2012
- Mum of Vladimir Putin's love child 'vanishes' - Feb 08, 2010
Tags: 2004 athens olympics, billionaire owner, duma, erotic fantasies, extreme flexibility, factual basis, federal security service, gymnast, interrogation, kgb officer, korrespondent, kremlin, marriage story, newspapers report, noses, private life, retraction, russian intelligence agency, russian president vladimir, word of truth