War veterans say Spike Lee’’s WWII film insults memory of Italian ResistanceOctober 1st, 2008 - 5:10 pm ICT by ANI
London, October 1 (ANI): Director Spike Lees latest movie, Miracle at St Anna, has invited the wrath of Italian war veterans who claim that the film is a false reconstruction of their history.
Partisan organisations believe that the film, that retells the story of the massacre of 560 civilians in retaliation to the Italian partisan activity in August 1944, insults the memory of the Italian Resistance.
The partisans uphold the Italian account of the Sant”Anna di Stazzema massacre that it was not a reprisal but an unprovoked act of brutality on behalf of the SS troops where the hunt for partisans was just a pretext.
Following the film that counters the accepted Italian version, the partisan organizations are set to protest at the venue of the films Italian premiere, Viareggio - close to the site of the massacre.
Lee, whose film is an adaptation of James McBrides novel, has refused to offer an apology to the offended partisans.
I am not apologising, Times Online quoted the director as saying.
He told Italians there was a lot about your history you have yet to come to grips with. This film is our interpretation, and I stand behind it.
He revealed that the film, which follows the fate of four black GIs, was intended to restore the voice of black soldiers who fought in the war.
He said that not all Italians had admired the partisans, many of whom fled to the mountains and left civilians to face the Nazis.
He also added: I have not invented anything.
However, Giovanni Cipollini, the deputy head of Anpi, the partisans association, said the film was a false reconstruction and a travesty of history. (ANI)
- 95-year-old Italian film director leaps to his death - Dec 01, 2010
- 'Warhorse' - saved by beautiful anti-war sentiment (IANS Movie Review) - Feb 11, 2012
- Former Nazi officer jailed for life for ordering mass killing in Italy - Aug 11, 2009
- Italy orders DNA tests to identify WWII victims - Mar 25, 2010
- Classic Italian opera in Indian avatar - Nov 10, 2011
- 97-year-old Hungarian goes on trial for WW II crimes - May 06, 2011
- Former Nazi officer gets life term for Italian murders - Aug 11, 2009
- Bangladeshi 'Guerrilla' a huge draw at Agartala film fest - Dec 26, 2011
- Team Anna's allegations unfair, motivated: Pranab (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Negotiate between Mahabharata, management and fiction (IANS Books This Week) - Sep 09, 2010
- 'Men In Black 3' - funny with right emotional tinge (IANS Movie Review) - May 25, 2012
- Churchill 'ordered assassination of Mussolini to protect secret letters' - Sep 03, 2010
- DC Comics Unveals Superman’s New Look - Oct 26, 2010
- 50 years on Italy's 'La Dolce Vita is just a distant memory' - Nov 06, 2010
- Eva Mendes and Ryan Gosling star in 'Drunk History Christmas' - Dec 23, 2011
Tags: brutality, civilians, deputy head, insults, italian resistance, italian version, italian war, italians, mcbrides, partisan activity, partisans, pretext, reprisal, retaliation, spike lee, ss troops, unprovoked act, viareggio, war veterans, wwii film