Walia releases report on ‘Housing Conditions in Delhi’February 3rd, 2011 - 8:56 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 3 (ANI): Delhi Finance and Planning Minister Dr. A.K. Walia on Thursday released a report on ‘Housing Conditions in Delhi’ prepared by the Directorate of Economics and Statistics on the basis of survey conducted under 65th National Sample Survey Round during July 2008- June 2009.
The report carries vital information on various aspects of housing conditions in the Capital city. It is useful for reference and research to planners, researchers and other stakeholders involved in providing basic amenities and infrastructure in the city.
Dr. Walia after releasing the report stated that there were 39.23 lakhs households in Delhi out of which only 1.80 lakhs were in rural areas and rest 37.43 lakhs in urban areas. Delhi, which is more of urban character, is having small families.
The average size of per household is 4.44 persons. Further majority of the households in Delhi are nuclear family households instead of joint family culture. In urban areas around 76 percent of the total households were having one married couple, eight percent having two married couples and two percent having three or more married couples.
The capital city was having around 92 percent of total households with ‘pucca’ structure, five percent with ’semi-pucca’ structure and only three having ‘Kuccha structure’. Most of the buildings in which households are staying are being used only for residential purposes.
About 89 percent buildings were being used for residential purposes and 10 percent as residential cum commercial purposes. Around 51 percent i.e. 20 lakhs of total households were residing in independent houses and 18 percent i.e. 7.17 lakhs in flats.
As regards ownership of buildings, where households was residing is concerned around 37 percent i.e. 14.41 lakhs were in hired accommodation, 11.5 percent i.e. 1.66 lakhs were in employer’s quarters and around 57 percent i.e. 22 lakhs were residing in their own accommodation.
The survey revealed that in case of 79 percent of the total households, the age of their dwelling units was less than 20 years, in case of 18 percent it was between 20-40 years and in case of four percent it was more than 40 years.
Further it revealed that in case of 80 percent of the total households, plinth area of their houses was up to 75 square meters and for the remaining 20 percent it was more than 75 square meters.
Around 90 percent households were having toilet facilities. The Survey revealed that 63 percent of the total houses were having this facility exclusively for themselves, 20 percent were using shared facilities whereas nine percent were using public toilets.
As far as occupation of households is concerned about 27 percent total households were senior officers and managers, five percent each were professionals, technicians and office assistants whereas 12 percent were Sales workers.
Around 44 percent to the total households used to travel up to 5 km. from the place of their residents to their workplace, 26 percent from 5 to 10 kilometers, 11 percent from 10 to 15 kilometers and three percent from 15-30 kilometers.
It means around 70 percent of the total households were having their place of work within reasonable distance. Around 60 percent of the total households were engaged in service sector, 21 percent in manufacturing sector and eight percent in construction activities. (ANI)
- Delhi residents prefer independent houses to flats - Feb 03, 2011
- No access to toilets for half of Jammu and Kashmir households - Mar 28, 2012
- Only 43.5 percent Indians use tap water - Mar 13, 2012
- Bihar paradox: Phones outnumber toilets - Apr 20, 2012
- 'Rural jobs, housing schemes not functioning optimally' - Aug 03, 2012
- Child marriages are rampant in Odisha, says health survey - Aug 17, 2012
- New census to estimate India's poor with caste, religion (Roundup) - May 19, 2011
- Sanitation disastrous in India: Ramesh - Nov 02, 2011
- NGO slams rural jobs scheme implementation in Assam - Apr 20, 2012
- Use incentives to build affordable housing: Minister - Feb 28, 2011
- Child marriages rampant in Odisha, says survey - Aug 17, 2012
- 42 percent children under five underweight: Report - Jan 10, 2012
- Use incentives to build affordable housing: Selja (Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- Realty industry has little to cheer from budget (Comment) - Mar 18, 2012
- Delhi residents spend more than other Indians - Apr 05, 2010
Tags: amenities, commercial purposes, directorate of economics and statistics, family culture, family households, household, married couple, married couples, national sample survey, New Delhi, nuclear family, planners, quarters, report stated that, residential purposes, rural areas, stakeholders, urban areas, urban character, vital information