W. Bengal Law Minister visits Maoist affected West MidnaporeOctober 21st, 2009 - 2:28 pm ICT by ANI
West Midnapore, Oct 21 (ANI): West Bengal Law Minister Rabilal Maitra visited West Bengal’s West Midnapore district on Wednesday.
The visit was held a day after armed Maoists stormed a police station at Sankrail in the district and killed two police personnel besides abducting another police officer.
The Maoists, including women combatants, attacked Sankrail Police Station and robbed at least 19 firearms and several rounds of ammunition. The officer-in-charge of the police station was taken hostage.
Maoists have been demanding the release of an elusive tribal leader Chhatradhar Mahato, who has been spearheading an agitation since November last year against alleged police excesses in West Midnapore’s troubled Lalgarh area.
Mahato, leader of People’s Committee Against Police Atrocities (PCAPA), which has been spearheading agitation against alleged police atrocities, was nabbed from Pirka region, near Lalgarh village.
Police nabbed Mahato when he was about to give an interview to a journalist.
Mahato had been giving regular interviews when the paramilitary forces and the state police had launched the anti-Maoist operations in Lalgarh, the place declared as a liberated zone by the Maoists, on June 19 forcing him to go underground for some time.
The tribals under Mahato had a free run for nine months with the police withdrawing from the camps, before the paramilitary troops recaptured Lalgarh from the Maoists who were fuelling the tribal agitations. (ANI)
- Maoist bandh call disrupts normal life in West Bengal - Sep 30, 2009
- Maoists backed tribal leader Chhatradhar Mahato arrested in Lalgarh - Sep 27, 2009
- Pro-Maoist leader makes things tough for CPI-M - May 06, 2011
- Rajdhani Express to arrive at New Delhi Railway Station today - Oct 28, 2009
- Buddhadeb discusses Maoist-related problems with Chidambaram - Oct 11, 2009
- W. Bengal CM Buddhadeb meets Manmohan Singh - Oct 12, 2009
- CPI (ML)-L demands release of tribal leader Chhatradhar Mahato - Oct 02, 2009
- Election agent of Chhatradhar Mahato arrested - May 05, 2011
- Pro-Maoist tribal body's spokesman re-arrested - Jul 01, 2011
- Maoists put up posters protesting Mahato killing - Mar 12, 2011
- Activists protest detention of tribal leader Chhatradhar Mahato - Oct 11, 2009
- Jailed pro-Maoist leader to contest Bengal polls - Apr 19, 2011
- Mahato slapped with fresh charge of helping Maoists - Nov 18, 2009
- Seven Maoists get political prisoner status - Aug 08, 2012
- Are Maoists losing ground in West Bengal? - Dec 30, 2010
Tags: agitation, ammunition, atrocities, combatants, firearms, law minister, maitra, maoist, maoists, midnapore district, nine months, paramilitary forces, paramilitary troops, police excesses, police station, s committee, state police, tribal leader, tribals, west bengal