Voice vote sees Naveen Patnaik win confidence motion in OrissaMarch 11th, 2009 - 3:01 pm ICT by ANI
Bhubaneswar, Mar 11 (ANI): The Naveen Patnaik-led Biju Janata Dal Government on Wednesday won the trust vote through a voice-vote in the State Assembly here.
The Opposition, however, alleged that the Speaker of the Assembly had behaved unfairly during the motion by not allowing members to speak.
A special one-day session of the State Assembly was summoned on Wednesday, where Patnaik required at least 74 votes to prove his majority in the 147-member House.
The BJP had earlier insisted that its members would vote against the Government.
Three BJP MLAs, however, defied their party whip and decided to vote for the Patnaik Government.
The trust vote arose after the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) withdrew its support to Patnaiks Biju Janata Dal (BJP).
The BJP-BJD alliance in Orissa split over differences in seat-sharing on March 7.
Barring the Congress, smaller parties and some independents immediately came to the rescue of Patnaik. (ANI)
- Sangma arrives in Odisha to seek support - Jul 15, 2012
- Sangma to campaign in Odisha July 15 - Jul 06, 2012
- Orissa CM Naveen Patnaik to face trust vote - Mar 11, 2009
- BJD to abstain in vice-presidential poll - Aug 05, 2012
- Patnaik leaves for Delhi to back Sangma - Jun 27, 2012
- Presidential election: Sangma's son meets Patnaik - Jun 26, 2012
- Patnaik wins trust vote, Orissa opposition alleges manipulation (Second Intro Roundup) - Mar 11, 2009
- Pranab in Odisha to seek support - Jul 11, 2012
- NCP withdraws support to BJD in Orissa - Dec 29, 2010
- Naveen Patnaik wins trust vote - Mar 11, 2009
- Vote for party's Rajya Sabha candidates, BJD tells legislators - Jun 13, 2010
- Naveen Patnaik rules out supporting Congress - Mar 07, 2011
- Rajnath Singh regrets BJP-BJD alliance breakdown - Mar 08, 2009
- BJP rules out poll pact with BJD - Oct 31, 2011
- Naveen Patnaik is Sangma's proposer for president's poll (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012