Vohra appoints four-member panel to resolve Amarnath rowAugust 7th, 2008 - 12:09 pm ICT by ANI
Jammu, Aug 7 (ANI): Jammu and Kashmir Governor NN Vohra last night appointed a four-member committee for holding talks with the Shri Amarnath Sangarsh Samiti (SASS) to find a solution for the ongoing Amarnath land transfer row.
The committee comprising former state chief secretary SS Bloeria, Vice-Chancellor of Jammu University Amitabh Mattoo, retired Judge of Jammu and Kashmir High Court Justice GD Sharma, and Chief Executive Officer of Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB) BB Vyas will make a fresh appeal to the agitating group to end the stalemate.
Earlier, the Sangarsh Samiti had refused the proposal of Vohra to hold direct talks with the shrine board.
Commenting on the fresh offer, convener of SASS Leela Karan Sharma said that it would ascertain what the new committee would be offering to address the sentiments of the people in Jammu region.
Claiming that the Samiti was not against the dialogue process, Leela said that they would meet and discuss fresh offer and the future course of action.
The announcement came after an all-party meeting convened by Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh ended in New Delhi. Briefing the media about the meeting, Union Home Minister Shivraj Patil appealed to the people of Jammu and Kashmir and all political parties to help in restoring peace in the state. He said that there is no issue that cannot be solved through dialogue.
External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee said the UPA leaders were briefed on the latest situation in Jammu and related developments by Patil and erstwhile state chief minister Ghulam Nabi Azad.
Mukherjee added that the all parties also favoured more facilities to the Amarnath pilgrims like shelter, security and transportation. (ANI)
- BJP to launch three-day agitation on Amarnath row from Aug 11 - Aug 07, 2008
- Army deploys 10,000 extra soldiers in Jammu - Aug 07, 2008
- Sreedharan on Vaishno Devi Board - Mar 27, 2012
- Patil meets SASS, various party leaders in Jammu - Aug 09, 2008
- Amarnath Samiti leader to contest polls - Mar 14, 2009
- Amarnath Shrine Board members resign - Aug 06, 2008
- Breakthrough likely in Amarnath land row (Third Lead) - Aug 23, 2008
- Snowfall on Amarnath track hits clearance operation - Jun 08, 2012
- Breakthrough in sight in Amarnath land row (Second Lead) - Aug 23, 2008
- Amarnath talks delayed by a few hours (Lead) - Aug 30, 2008
- Kashmir had record 12 million tourists - Dec 31, 2011
- BJP condemns Abdullah Government for encouraging Pro- Pakistan elements in the Valley - Jul 03, 2010
- Dead Amarnath pilgrims fudged health certificates: report - Jul 20, 2012
- Samiti finally agrees for talks, but extends Jammu shutdown - Aug 20, 2008
- Mukherjee, Patil with all-party delegation to visit Jammu - Aug 07, 2008
Tags: amarnath pilgrims, amarnath shrine, chief executive officer, chief secretary, dr manmohan singh, external affairs minister, external affairs minister pranab mukherjee, ghulam nabi azad, karan sharma, manmohan singh, member committee, member panel, new committee, pranab mukherjee, sasb, shrine board, state chief, union home minister, vice chancellor, vyas