VoA to stop its Hindi serviceAugust 23rd, 2008 - 3:29 pm ICT by ANI
Washington , Aug 23 (ANI): The Voice of Americas (VoA) Hindi service which was launched in 1955 would be shut down with effect from Sept 30, thereby rendering six of its permanent staff in New Delhi jobless.
Besides, a large number of VoA listeners would be bereft of its news bulletins to which they were addicted for decades together.
In a message to the South Asian Journalists Association (SAJA), Ashok Sarin of the VoA Hindi Service said that the decision was being presented as the will of the US Congress, reported the Daily Times.
In December, the 2008 funding bill for the Broadcasting Board of Governors, the body that controls VOA, was passed by both houses of Congress and signed by the President, directed that the proposed cut should be reversed.
In July, the House Appropriations Subcommittee on State, Foreign Operations and Related Programmes marked the Broadcasting Board of Governors Fiscal Year 2009 budget, and again directed the proposed Hindi service cut to be reversed.
However, the Broadcasting Board of Governors appears determined to go ahead with the shut down. (ANI)
- VoA to shutdown its Hindi service on Sep. 30 - Sep 13, 2008
- Decline in Visas on Arrival in May - Jun 07, 2012
- Rise in Visa on Arrivals in June 2012 - Jul 11, 2012
- More than 800 visas on arrival issued in July - Aug 12, 2011
- India issued 770 visas on arrival to foreigners in June - Jul 13, 2011
- More foreign travellers opting for visa on arrival - Aug 13, 2012
- India posts 25 percent increase in visas on arrival - Sep 11, 2012
- American broadcasters outraged over BBC World Service Trust's bid for US funding - Mar 23, 2011
- 5,644 on-arrival visas issued till November - Dec 09, 2010
- BBC Pakistan to challenge ban on its radio services - Jun 07, 2010
- Over 5,000 tourists from five countries avail visa on arrival - Nov 11, 2010
- MCI moots reforms in medical courses, exams - Mar 30, 2011
- BBC World Service to lose 650 jobs, 30 million listeners following cuts - Jan 27, 2011
- Pak to use VOA funding for information outreach on Kashmir dispute, war on terror - Feb 02, 2010
- BBC World Service leaves Bush House - Jul 12, 2012
Tags: board of governors, broadcasting board of governors, foreign operations, hindi service, house appropriations subcommittee, news bulletins, south asian journalists, south asian journalists association, us congress, voa