VoA to shutdown its Hindi service on Sep. 30September 13th, 2008 - 5:00 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi , Sep 13 (ANI): Voice of America (VoA) is switching off its Hindi service 54 years after it started broadcasting.
VoA Hindi will broadcast its final programme on September 30, following which its six-member team - at the centre of over 1,200 fan clubs and catering to nearly 8 million listeners - will fall silent.
VoA Hindi started on July 1, 1954 when the war hero Dwight D Eisenhower was President of America, and Jawaharlal Nehru’’s India was on the verge of presenting to the world its philosophy of non-alignment.
Now, in a radically transformed world, the US Broadcasting Board of Governors has struck Hindi off the list of 45 languages that America uses to speak to the world.
The decision is part of VoAs language service reduction and, expectedly, budgetary cuts.
From September 30 we will be ending our seven-hour long Hindi language services at VoA. This is a policy decision conveyed by our Washington-based headquarters and is in keeping with the new world order that the USA faces after 9/11, a leading national daily quoted a VoA official, as saying.
The focus is increasingly on languages like Pashto and Urdu now even though VoA Hindi has a good listenership across South Asia . It will surely be missed by many, the official added. (ANI)
- Decline in Visas on Arrival in May - Jun 07, 2012
- Rise in Visa on Arrivals in June 2012 - Jul 11, 2012
- More than 800 visas on arrival issued in July - Aug 12, 2011
- VOA-PBC agreement to see expansion of US propaganda network to Pakistan - Oct 27, 2009
- India issued 770 visas on arrival to foreigners in June - Jul 13, 2011
- More foreign travellers opting for visa on arrival - Aug 13, 2012
- India posts 25 percent increase in visas on arrival - Sep 11, 2012
- American broadcasters outraged over BBC World Service Trust's bid for US funding - Mar 23, 2011
- 5,644 on-arrival visas issued till November - Dec 09, 2010
- Voice of America's role being questioned in spreading Taliban propaganda - Jun 14, 2009
- Pakistani textbook says 9/11 happened last year! - May 09, 2012
- Radio Pakistan cancels VOA's Pushto broadcast following Taliban threat - Feb 07, 2010
- Pakistani Taliban claims responsibility for scribe's murder - Jan 19, 2012
- Over 5,000 tourists from five countries avail visa on arrival - Nov 11, 2010
- 4,493 visas on arrival issued till September - Oct 11, 2010
Tags: board of governors, broadcasting board of governors, dwight d eisenhower, fan clubs, hindi language, hindi service, jawaharlal nehru, language service, language services, listenership, member team, new world order, pashto, policy decision, president of america, South Asia, verge, voice of america, voice of america voa, war hero