Violence continues in curfew-bound Kashmir, toll four (Lead)

July 31st, 2010 - 2:58 pm ICT by IANS  

Srinagar, July 31 (IANS) Violence escalated in the Kashmir Valley Saturday as an irate mob attacked a police camp in north Kashmir Baramulla district and the Sopore railway station, defying curfew restrictions, even as the death toll rose to four since Friday. Three protesters were injured in firing by security forces.
The four killed in firing by security forces were identified as Muhammad Ahsan Ganai and Showkat Ahmad Wagay, who died in Amargarh in Sopore town, and Adil Sheikh and Nazir Ahmad Mir, who were killed in north Kashmir Pattan town when mobs torched the police station there Friday afternoon.

Over 50 people, including protesters and security men, were injured in violence across the Kashmir Valley Friday.

Fresh violence erupted Saturday morning when a mob attacked a police camp in Kreeri village of Baramulla and despite repeated warning shots in the air, they continued throwing rocks and stones at the policemen inside.

“Three people, including two women protesters and a boy, suffered gunshot injuries in this incident. All the three have been shifted to Srinagar for specialized treatment,” a police official said here.

Attending doctors at Sher-e-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences Soura (SKIMS) described the condition of the injured boy as very critical.

Over 10,000 mourners, meanwhile, offered funeral prayers of two civilians - Muhammad Ahsan Ganai and Showkat Ahmad Wagay - killed in firing by security forces in Sopore Friday.

After their burial, the mob again attacked the Sopore railway station, torching another building and a fire tender that had reached the spot to douse the blaze.

Protesters have also blocked the Srinagar-Muzaffarabad highway at Delina near Baramulla town, disallowing any vehicular movement.

Stone-pelting mobs also engaged security forces in Baramulla town where police and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel used batons and tear gas to quell the unruly crowd.

Another mob blocked the Jammu-Srinagar national highway at Borsu village in south Kashmir Pulwama district, pelting stones at vehicles passing by.

Slogan shouting protesters also erected stone barricades at Zakura on the Srinagar-Ladakh national highway.

In Sumbal town of north Kashmir Bandipora district, protesters pelted stones at a camp of the local armed police, who fired in the air to disperse them.

Contingents of security forces are patrolling various Old City and uptown areas in Srinagar, enforcing the indefinite curfew announced in order to prevent protests by violent mobs.

The valley has been virtually paralysed due to violent protests against civilians being killed in firing by security forces since June 11.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in National |