Violence breaks out in Haryana after custodial deathFebruary 14th, 2011 - 10:03 pm ICT by ANI
Hansi (Haryana), Feb 14 (ANI): A furious mob attacked a police station and torched vehicles in Haryana’s Hansi town on Monday after a man died in custody.
According to police officials, the man named Subhash, who was arrested on Sunday night on charges of drinking and disturbing peace, hanged himself in the police station.
The victims’ family, however, claimed that the police beat him to death.
“My husband came here for work for daily wages. I was waiting for him till 12 p.m. last night and was checking at the doors. I was milking the cow, when policemen came and told me that he hanged himself to death. They actually severely beat him and he died. But they said he died because he hanged himself. They would not take out his body,” said Babli, Subhash’s widow.
Agitated over the death, the locals vandalised the Hansi police station and burnt down several police vehicles.
Additional police forces have been deployed to control the mob.
At least 20 people have been reported to be injured in the violence. (ANI)
- Mob torches police station after youth dies in custody - Feb 14, 2011
- Truck mows four kids, one killed in police firing - Sep 14, 2011
- Violence in Himachal town after youth's death - Jun 13, 2011
- Mewat tense after mob fury - Mar 29, 2012
- Man lynched for killing wives - Nov 07, 2011
- Bihar man commits suicide after cow's death - Sep 15, 2011
- Haryana twin murder: Weapons not traced - Apr 21, 2011
- Bihar custody death triggers protests - Jan 15, 2012
- Two killed in post-poll violence across Maharashtra - Feb 20, 2012
- Enraged workers in Gurgaon indulge in vandalism, arson - Mar 23, 2012
- Shops shut in violence-hit east Delhi area; situation under control (Second Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Police station set on fire after man dies in custody - Jun 12, 2010
- Himachal court orders CBI probe into man's death - Aug 24, 2011
- Man killed in east Delhi firing was family's sole provider - Sep 03, 2012
- Passengers turn violent as man dies at Kolkata railway station - Feb 24, 2011