Villagers oppose proposed Arcelor Mittal plant in JharkhandJune 7th, 2009 - 10:57 pm ICT by ANI
Banai Toli (Jharkhand), June 7(ANI): Villagers in Jharkhand’s Khuti and Gumla districts have turned an agitated lot over the plans to set up a steel plant by multinational steel giant Arcelor Mittal.
Arcelor Mittal has identified 11,000 acres of land overlapping the districts of Khuti and Gumla to set up a 12 million tonne steel plant.
“If the company acquires our land, we would die struggling for it. We will further lose our identity, society religion and our natural resources,” said Labda Topno, Pradhan of Banai Toli village.
Dayamani Barla, Convenor of the Anti-Displacement Forum has alleged that the Government’s Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Mittal will displace hundreds of thousands of villagers from the region comprising over 40 villages, located in and around the proposed project.
Barla also mentioned about the natural resources in the region being adversely affected, there would be a threat to the evergreen environment.
“This fight is to save the environment and the villagers’ life. There are water resources here on which Mittal’s steel plant is going to come up and he would be acquiring all rights on it which are against the local people’s interests and livelihood of thousands of families,” said Dayamani Barla. (ANI)
- Mittal pullout: Jharkhand says it has no information - Oct 05, 2009
- Jharkhand considering MoU renewal for ArcelorMittal steel plant - Aug 01, 2012
- ArcelorMittal explores other Jharkhand sites for steel plant - Feb 22, 2010
- Jharkhand concerned about Arcelor Mittal steel project - Jan 09, 2010
- Jharkhand villagers protest transfer of land to ArcelorMittal - May 30, 2009
- ArcelorMittal may shift plant to another site in Jharkhand - Mar 18, 2010
- Adivasis: Pawns in Development? - Jan 15, 2011
- Arcelor Mittal steel project faces land acquisition row in Jharkhand - Oct 18, 2008
- No information on Mittal pullout, say Orissa, Jharkhand (Lead) - Oct 05, 2009
- Anti-displacement group protests nod to POSCO - Jan 31, 2011
- ArcelorMittal to get government land for steel project - Feb 13, 2009
- S&P; cuts ArcelorMittal ratings to junk status - Aug 03, 2012
- Posco relents, to set up steel plant in Karnataka - Jun 04, 2010
- Anti-Posco group to launch protest campaign - May 06, 2011
- POSCO project: Supporters, protesters hold rival meets - Mar 13, 2011
Tags: arcelor, arcelor mittal, convenor, displacement, hundreds of thousands, khuti, livelihood, memorandum of understanding, mou, natural resources, proposed project, religion, steel giant, steel plant, toli, water resources