Villagers in UP pray for success of ”Smile Pinky” at OscarsFebruary 22nd, 2009 - 1:17 pm ICT by ANI
Dabai (UP), Feb 22 (ANI): Residents of Dabai village in Uttar Pradesh’’s Ahura District have been praying for the success of the documentary ”Smile Pinky” at the Oscars, since it is based on the life of a girl with a lip deformity in their village.
“Pinky has gone to America. The documentary has got a nomination for the Oscars. We are praying to God that this film wins an award and brings glory to our country and our village,” said Pradeep Kumar, a villager.
”Smile Pinky” is the story of a child with a lip deformity. It is one of the four films nominated for best short documentary at the famed Academy Awards to be declared at Los Angels.
Megan Mylan’’s film depicts the saga of six-year-old Pinky who becomes a social outcast because of a cleft lip.
In the 39-minute documentary, the girl from this obscure village of Uttar Pradesh, undergoes corrective surgery and gets a normal childhood.
“Earlier, she had a lip deformity and all her schoolmates used to tease her. After she got operated and got rid of her lip deformity, she started going to school again. Now, none teases her any more,” said Nirmala Devi, Pinky’’s mother.
Plastic surgeon Dr. Subodh Kumar Singh, who treated Pinky at no cost, said that the film’’s Academy Award nomination would help create awareness about the condition of children in rural areas. (ANI)
- Oscar for best short documentary goes to India''s ''Smile Pinki'' - Feb 23, 2009
- Villagers in UP celebrate after ''Smile Pinky'' bagged Oscars - Feb 23, 2009
- 'Peepli Live' - will it make it to Oscars? - Dec 13, 2010
- Gursharan Kaur hosts a reception for smiling ''Pinky'' - Feb 27, 2009
- 'Smile Pinki' all set to be screened across India - Oct 02, 2009
- Doordarshan to showcase 'Smile Pinki' on Sunday - Nov 10, 2009
- American virtuoso teaches violin to cleft-lipped children in Varanasi - May 12, 2010
- Why is Pinki not smiling? - Oct 28, 2009
- Pinki makes her village 'smile' after wooing Oscar jury - Feb 23, 2009
- Oscar-famed Pinky gets grand welcome - Feb 28, 2009
- Reality more fascinating than fiction: 'Smile Pinki' director - Nov 08, 2009
- Oscar is for thousands of cleft-lipped Pinkis: surgeon - Feb 23, 2009
- 'Smile Pinki' returns to help children with cleft lips - Sep 26, 2009
- Pinki will become a doctor, promises farmer father - Feb 27, 2009
- Oscar could make India's cleft-lipped kids smile - Feb 24, 2009
Tags: academy award nomination, academy awards, ahura, cleft lip, corrective surgery, dabai, four films, minute documentary, mylan, nirmala devi, obscure village, pinky, plastic surgeon, pradeep kumar, praying to god, schoolmates, social outcast, subodh kumar, uttar pradesh, villager