Vijender assures another medal for India in boxingAugust 20th, 2008 - 8:38 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Aug 20 (ANI): Boxer Vijender Kumar created history on Wednesday after he became Indias third medal winner at the Beijing Olympics.
Vijender defeated Carlos Gongora of Ecaudor, assuring him an entry into the semi-finals as well as at least a bronze medal. Wrestler Sushil Kumar had won a bronze in the freestyle event earlier in the day.
Vijender, competing in the 75 kg middleweight category, dominated the entire bout, eventually winning 9-4. The win has ensured that India will come back from Beijing with its biggest ever-Olympic medal haul.
Vijender had earlier stormed into the quarter-finals of the 75 kg middleweight Boxing event on Saturday after he outclassed Thailands Champuphuang Angkhan 13-3 in a one sided match.
Vijender thoroughly dominated his bout to tame Angkhan Chomphuphuang of Thailand 13-3 to sail into the quarterfinals of the 75kg category event.
Making most of his height advantage and long reach to unnerve the Thai who looked confounded, Vijender unleashed mostly upper cuts and jabs and the rival had no clue as to what was going.
It was a sweet revenge for Vijender, who had lost to the Thai in the Asian Championship in Ulan Bator, Mongolia, and had to be content with silver. (ANI)
- Boxer Shiva enters semis of Olympic qualifiers - Apr 09, 2012
- Vijender in semifinals of Arafura Games - May 10, 2011
- Indian boxer Thapa in quarters of Olympic qualifiers - Apr 07, 2012
- Indian boxers look to make a mark at the grandest stage (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympic boxing: India's Vijender in 75 kg quarterfinal (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Outlook on boxing changed after Beijing bronze: Vijender - Jun 28, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Vijender powers his way to pre-quarters (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Boxer Vijender joins Akhil and Jitender in Olympic quarters (Roundup) - Aug 16, 2008
- Shiva, Sangwan secure London Olympics berth (Roundup) - Apr 11, 2012
- Thapa in quarters, Suranjoy out of Olympic qualifiers (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- Shiva Thapa youngest Indian boxer to qualify for Olympics (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Under-pressure Vijender hopes to book London berth in Astana - Apr 02, 2012
- Asian Games boxing: Vijender in quarterfinals - Nov 17, 2010
- Asian Games boxing: Vijender wins gold, India finish with nine medals (Seond Lead) - Nov 26, 2010
- Olympics: Saina, Vijender within sniffing distance of a medal (Overall Roundup) - Aug 03, 2012