Vijayan summoned by special CBI court in corruption caseJune 23rd, 2009 - 5:59 pm ICT by ANI
Kochi, June 23 (ANI): The CBI court on Tuesday issued summons to Kerala CPI (M) State Secretary and former minister Pinarayi Vijayan and eight others in the SNC Lavalin corruption case.
On June 11, the CBI had filed a chargesheet against Vijayan in connection to the SNC Lavalin case in which he is named as the seventh accused.
Vijayan is the first Politburo member to be prosecuted in a corruption case.
As Kerala Power Minister in 1997, Vijayan allegedly had inked a deal with Canadian firm SNC Lavalin to renovate three power projects in the state.
In 2001, the Assembly Subject Committee found that the deal with Lavalin had caused huge losses to the Government.
A CAG report said the state lost 374.5 crore rupees in the deal.
According to the CBI, Vijayan allegedly colluded with others in a criminal conspiracy to favour the firm SNC Lavalin.
The 10-page chargesheet and documents running into 3,000 pages were submitted to special judge P A Jyothindra Nath by CBI Deputy SP Ashok Kumar.
Vijayan has been charged under sections 420 and 120 (B) of the IPC and sections 13 (2) and 13 (1B) of the Prevention of Corruption Act. (ANI)
- Pinarayi Vijayan summoned in Lavalin graft case - Apr 10, 2012
- Make Kerala home minister accused in Lavalin case: Petition - May 05, 2011
- CPI-M politburo member Pinarayi Vijayan asked to appear in court - Dec 19, 2011
- Pinarayi Vijayan re-elected to top Kerala CPI-M post - Feb 10, 2012
- SNC Lavalin scam: Court refuses to include Antony as witness - Jan 04, 2010
- CBI says Kerala government was partisan for Vijayan - Nov 10, 2010
- Antony not to be witness in Lavalin graft case: court - Jan 04, 2010
- Kerala editor held for article on Gulf-based businessman - Jul 03, 2010
- Reprieve for Vijayan in SNC Lavalin case - Apr 17, 2010
- CBI files chargesheet against CPI-M leader Vijayan - Jun 11, 2009
- Pinarayi Vijayan gets bail in SNC Lavalin graft case - Dec 30, 2009
- Vijayan skips court, counsel wants Antony examined - Sep 24, 2009
- Supreme Court issues notices to CBI, Kerala Govt on Vijayan case - Aug 31, 2009
- CPI-M removes Achuthanandan from politburo, backs Vijayan (Lead) - Jul 12, 2009
- CPI-M Politburo's stand on Lavalin case surprising: Congress - Jan 27, 2009
Tags: ashok kumar, cag report, cbi court, corruption case, CPI, criminal conspiracy, crore rupees, favour, ipc, june 23, nath, politburo member, power minister, power projects, prevention of corruption act, snc lavalin, special judge, state secretary, subject committee, summons