Vice-President embarks on four-day visit to MyanmarFebruary 5th, 2009 - 11:55 am ICT by ANI
By Ravi Shankar
New Delhi, Feb 5 (ANI): Vice President Mohammad Hamid Ansari left for Myanmar on a four-day visit today to further strengthen ties between the two countries.
He is leading a high-level delegation comprising Members of Parliament and businessmen, and includes Minister of State for Defence MM Pallam Raju.
The high-level business delegation comprises officials of the Steel Authority of India, TATA Motors, Gas Authority of India Ltd., Bharat Heavy Electric Limited among others.
TATA Motors is setting up a truck manufactring unit in Myanmar.
The delegation will hold talks with Vice Senior General Maung Aye, Vice-Chairman of the State Peace and Development Council (SPDC). They will also meet Senior General Than Shwe, Chairman, SPDC.
The delegation is scheduled to attend the inauguration of the Myanmar-India Entreprenuership Development Center (MIEDC) at the Institute of Economics, Hlaing Campus in Yangon.
India will sign three Memorandum of Understandings (MoUs) with Myanmar; setting up of an industrial training centre, Centre for English language and Entrepreneurship training centre besides signing investment promotion agreements.
Ties between India and its eastern neighbour have consolidated in recent years.
In May last year, Indian Navy ships were the first to reach relief to Myanmar in the wake of the devastating severe cyclone ”Nargis”. Later, the Indian Air Force also joined relief efforts.
India is also helping Myanmar in building infrastructure and boosting development.
The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) has built the 160 km-long Tamu-Kalewa-Kaylemyo road on the Indo-Myanmar border.
The two sides inked agreements last year on bilateral investment protection while New Delhi committed 120 million dollars line of credit for power facilities in Myanmar. (ANI)
- Ansari to go on a four-day visit to Myanmar to strengthen ties - Feb 04, 2009
- Vice President Ansari arrives in Myanmar to strengthen bilateral ties - Feb 05, 2009
- Ansari meets Myanmar junta chief, deputy - Feb 06, 2009
- Central team reviews Indo-Myanmar trade at Moreh - Apr 29, 2011
- Myanmar military ruler inspects Tata Motors plant (With Image) - Jul 29, 2010
- Krishna lands in Myanmar capital - Jun 21, 2011
- India, Myanmar ink pact on border road - Jun 22, 2011
- Ansari heads to Myanmar Thursday - Feb 04, 2009
- Krishna wraps up Myanmar engagement; focus on capacity building (Roudnup) - Jun 22, 2011
- Hamid Ansari begins official visit to Myanmar - Feb 05, 2009
- India, Myanmar to boost counter-terror cooperation, energy ties (Lead) - Jul 26, 2010
- 'Changes in Myanmar open new opportunities for India' - Sep 18, 2012
- India presses Myanmar for action against insurgent groups - Dec 30, 2010
- Myanmar ruler to visit Jamshedpur Thursday - Jul 28, 2010
- Why Myanmar president's visit to India matters - Oct 11, 2011
Tags: bilateral investment, border roads, business delegation, eastern neighbour, entrepreneurship training, entreprenuership, gas authority of india ltd, indian air force, indian navy, level delegation, maung aye, members of parliament, myanmar border, navy ships, president mohammad, promotion agreements, ravi shankar, state peace, steel authority, tata motors