Vice President Ansari visits KargilJune 21st, 2009 - 9:35 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, June 21 (IANS) Vice President Mohammad Hamid Ansari Sunday visited Kargil district of Jammu and Kashmir amid a rousing welcome in the cold desert region of the state.
Ansari is the first vice president of the country to visit the Kargil sector, bordering Pakistan-administered part of Kashmir, where Indian and Pakistani forces had engaged in a bitter conflict a decade ago.
Accompanied by Governor N.N. Vohra and Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, Ansari was given a rousing welcome by the people of Kargil.
Various political, social and religious deputations met the vice president and presented their demands before him.
They sought construction of a tunnel across the Zojilla Hill to keep the cold desert region of the state connected with the rest of the country round the year.
Heavy winter snow closes the Zojilla Pass cutting off the region’s road link for nearly seven months each year.
The demands also included upgradation of the Kargil airport and opening of the Kargil-Skardu road on the Line of Control (LoC) for transport.
Ansari also addressed soldiers and lauded their valour in defending the borders of the country under extremely inhospitable conditions in the region.
A Pakistani army incursion in Kargil in the summer of 1999 had led to a war-like confrontation between the two nuclear armed neighbours till the situation was defused.
- Vice President Ansari to visit Kargil Sunday - Jun 20, 2009
- Srinagar-Leh highway reopened after six months - May 02, 2011
- IAF airlifts 313 stranded passengers between Leh and Srinagar - Feb 07, 2012
- Fax from Ansari's wife for Vaishno Devi darshan a fake: Cops - Jun 04, 2010
- Defence secretary visits LOC in Kashmir - Sep 05, 2011
- India asks Pakistan for 'satisfactory closure' of 26/11 trial - Jun 24, 2011
- Rain, snow bring down temperatures in Kashmir Valley - Apr 11, 2011
- Kashmir mulls re-opening of other pre-Partition routes - Mar 31, 2011
- Srinagar-Leh highway opens after five-month closure - Mar 29, 2010
- India should boost bus, train services with Pakistan: Book - Apr 15, 2011
- Kashmir Congress chief meets governor - Dec 24, 2011
- Army chief visits Ladakh, reviews Siachen situation - Apr 20, 2010
- Day 2 of talks: India and Pakistan discuss Kashmir - Jun 24, 2011
- Kargil may soon get country's highest tunnel - Apr 19, 2010
- Ishar new vice-chancellor of Jammu university - Jan 18, 2012
Tags: bitter conflict, chief minister, cold desert, desert region, incursion, inhospitable conditions, jammu and kashmir, kargil airport, kargil sector, kashmir, mohammad hamid ansari, neighbours, pakistani army, president mohammad, rousing welcome, seven months, srinagar, valour, vohra, winter snow