Vice Admiral Verma to be next Navy ChiefJune 6th, 2009 - 8:32 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 6 (ANI): Vice Admiral Nirmal Kumar Verma has been appointed as the next Chief of the Naval Staff with effect from the afternoon of August31, 2009.
Vice Admiral Verma presently Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief (FOC-in-C), Eastern Naval Command will succeed Navy Chief Admiral Sureesh Mehta, who retires from service on August 31.
Born on November 14, 1950, Vice Admiral Verma was commissioned on July 1, 1970, into the Executive Branch of Indian Navy.
During his long and distinguished service spanning nearly 39 years, he has served in a variety of Command, Staff and Instructional appointments.
Vice Admiral Verma’s Sea Command includes Leander class Frigate “Udaigiri”, Guided Missile Destroyer “Ranvir” and the Aircraft Carrier “Viraat”. Before taking over as FOC-in-C, Eastern Naval Command, he was Vice Chief of the Naval Staff at the Naval Headquarters.
Vice Admiral Verma is an alumnus of Royal Naval Staff College, UK and Naval War College, USA. He has instructional experience at National Defence College as Senior Directing Staff and at Defence Services Staff College, Wellington. He also commanded the Naval Academy at Goa.
Vice Admiral Verma was decorated with Param Vishist Seva Medal (PVSM) and Ati Vishist Seva Medal(AVSM). He is one of the Honorary ADCs of the Supreme Commander. He is married to Madhulika and the couple has two sons. (ANI)
- Vice Admiral Nirmal Verma takes over as new Navy Chief - Aug 31, 2009
- D.K. Joshi named new Indian Navy chief (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Admiral Joshi is new Indian Navy chief (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Indian Army chief-designate conferred medal for distinguished service - Apr 17, 2012
- Nirmal Verma named Indian Navy chief - Jun 06, 2009
- Navy, Army vice chiefs to get highest service medal - Jan 25, 2011
- Navy chief takes over as tri-services panel head - Jul 29, 2011
- Former Indian Navy chief Adm. Dawson dies - Oct 24, 2011
- Vice Admiral Thapliyal is Indian Navy chief of personnel - Jan 27, 2012
- New IAF vice chief, Eastern air commander take charge - Aug 01, 2011
- Vice Admiral Sinha takes over as IDS chief - Jul 04, 2011
- Air Marshal Roy takes over as NDC commandant - Jan 21, 2011
- Rear Admiral Shrikhande is IDS assistant chief (With Image) - Aug 23, 2012
- Vice Admiral Joshi to head navy's sword arm - Apr 16, 2011
- Ace fighter pilot Browne is new IAF vice chief (Lead) - Jan 01, 2011
Tags: adcs, college usa, command staff, defence services, distinguished service, flag officer, foc, frigate, guided missile destroyer, indian navy, instructional experience, national defence college, naval command, naval headquarters, naval staff college, naval war college, navy chief, vice admiral, vice chief, viraat