Vice Admiral Nirmal Verma takes over as new Navy ChiefAugust 31st, 2009 - 6:27 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Aug 31 (ANI): Vice Admiral Nirmal Kumar Verma on Monday took over as the new Navy Chief.
Vice Admiral Verma has succeeded Admiral Sureesh Mehta who retired on Monday afternoon.
Born on November 14, 1950, Vice Admiral Verma was commissioned on July 1, 1970, into the Executive Branch of Indian Navy.
During his long and distinguished service spanning nearly 39 years, he has served in a variety of Command, Staff and Instructional appointments.
Vice Admiral Verma’s Sea Command includes Leander class Frigate “Udaigiri”, Guided Missile Destroyer “Ranvir” and the Aircraft Carrier “Viraat”.
Before taking over as FOC-in-C, Eastern Naval Command, he was Vice Chief of the Naval Staff at the Naval Headquarters.
Vice Admiral Verma is an alumnus of Royal Naval Staff College, UK and Naval War College, USA. He has instructional experience at National Defence College as Senior Directing Staff and at Defence Services Staff College, Wellington. He also commanded the Naval Academy at Goa.
Vice Admiral Verma was decorated with Param Vishist Seva Medal (PVSM) and Ati Vishist Seva Medal (AVSM). He is one of the Honorary ADCs of the President of India. (ANI)
- Vice Admiral Verma to be next Navy Chief - Jun 06, 2009
- D.K. Joshi named new Indian Navy chief (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Nirmal Verma named Indian Navy chief - Jun 06, 2009
- Admiral Joshi is new Indian Navy chief (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Indian Army chief-designate conferred medal for distinguished service - Apr 17, 2012
- Navy, Army vice chiefs to get highest service medal - Jan 25, 2011
- Navy chief takes over as tri-services panel head - Jul 29, 2011
- Ace fighter pilot Browne is new IAF vice chief (Lead) - Jan 01, 2011
- President Patil confers gallantry, distinguished service awards - Apr 18, 2011
- Former Indian Navy chief Adm. Dawson dies - Oct 24, 2011
- Vice Admiral Sinha takes over as IDS chief - Jul 04, 2011
- Air Marshal Roy takes over as NDC commandant - Jan 21, 2011
- New IAF vice chief, Eastern air commander take charge - Aug 01, 2011
- Vice Admiral Thapliyal is Indian Navy chief of personnel - Jan 27, 2012
- Former air force chief Lafontaine is dead - Apr 06, 2011
Tags: adcs, college usa, command staff, defence services, distinguished service, foc, frigate, guided missile destroyer, indian navy, instructional experience, national defence college, naval command, naval headquarters, naval staff college, naval war college, navy chief, president of india, vice admiral, vice chief, viraat