VHP workers detained for forcing shutdown in SuratJune 15th, 2009 - 4:03 pm ICT by ANI
Surat, June 15 (ANI): Police have detained some workers of the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) in the wake of today’s shutdown call given by the organisation, protesting the gangrape of 17-year-old girl here.
“Some VHP workers have been detained as precautionary measure,” Joint Commissioner of Police (JCP) Shamsher Singh said.
However, the VHP activists alleged that police have arrested 50 of its members last night, including city unit secretary Utkarsh Patel and RSS leader Suresh Master.
A class 12 student was allegedly raped while she was on her way back from her tuition classes on June 12.
The police had nabbed the three accused -Shahid Saiyad, Tariq Qutubuddhin Saiyad and Abu Bakr Sheikh- within eight hours of the crime.
Two of the accused are sons of police personnel, while the third owns a mobile repair shop. (ANI)
- Three rape accused face public wrath in Surat - Jun 13, 2009
- Gang-rape accused bashed up in Surat - Jun 13, 2009
- Surat gang rape accused slapped on way to court - Jun 26, 2009
- Surat rape accused to be tried in fast track court - Jun 14, 2009
- Life imprisonment for Surat rapists - Feb 19, 2010
- Surat gang rape case: Three accused awarded life imprisonment - Feb 19, 2010
- Shutdown affects normal life in Assam - Aug 27, 2012
- Sadhvi Ritambhara an old friend: Ramdev - Jun 04, 2011
- Students, parents stage silent protest march in Surat (Lead) - Jun 15, 2009
- Three 'remorseless' Surat rapists get life terms - Feb 19, 2010
- Three Bihar school boys detained for gangrape - Jul 27, 2012
- Court records statement of nun raped in Kandhamal clashes - Nov 03, 2010
- Women not safe in Bihar, says NCW team - Aug 17, 2012
- Congress betrayed Muslims: Mayawati - Dec 18, 2011
- Jammu observes shutdown against police action - Mar 17, 2012
Tags: abu bakr, activists, commissioner of police, eight hours, gangrape, jcp, mobile repair shop, old girl, precautionary measure, shamsher singh, sheikh, surat, tariq, tuition classes, unit secretary, vhp, vishwa hindu parishad