VHP to protest Muslim call to take back land for Amarnath boardJune 20th, 2008 - 8:47 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, June 20 (IANS) The Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) Friday said its firebrand leader Praveen Togadia will be here Sunday to protest calls by Muslim groups to take back land given to the Amarnath Hindu shrine authorities. VHP Jammu and Kashmir unit chief Rama Kant Dubey said the Muslim groups, including what he described as mainstream political parties, had launched “a malicious campaign” against the Amarnath pilgrimage.
The People’s Democratic Party (PDP), a member of the ruling coalition, the National Conference and separatist groups want the government to take back nearly 40 hectares of land transferred to the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board. The Board manages the annual pilgrimage to the Hindu cave shrine of Amarnath in south Kashmir.
The land was transferred to SASB to build temporary facilities for pilgrims. But the critics allege that the shrine board would use them to raise permanent structures to settle non-Kashmiris, changing the Muslim-majority character of the Kashmir Valley.
Dubey alleged that Jammu and Kashmir’s Muslim leaders wanted to “stop the pilgrimage once and for all”. He added that they wanted to “Islamise Kashmir”.
He said Togadia, the international general secretary of VHP, would arrive in Jammu Sunday. He would also deliver lectures on the “real designs” of Kashmir’s political and “Islamic fundamentalist forces”.
Dubey demanded that the Jammu and Kashmir government should be dismissed and governor’s rule imposed and action taken against all “anti-national leaders working against Hindu interests and the Amarnath pilgrimage”.
- Differences sharpen between Amarnath board, religious groups - May 12, 2012
- Amarnath yatra too short, say religious groups - Feb 29, 2012
- VHP warns Amarnath shrine board - Mar 05, 2012
- Amarnath Yatra: 300 Hindu activists detained in Jammu - Jun 03, 2012
- Sri Sri on panel to decide Amarnath pilgrimage duration - Jul 23, 2011
- Hindu groups to view route to Amarnath pilgrimage - Jun 12, 2011
- Government, Hindu groups clash over Amarnath yatra - Jun 09, 2011
- Groups threaten to start Amarnath Yatra June 3 - May 19, 2012
- Five detained for locking Kashmir House in Delhi - May 18, 2012
- Jammu, Kashmir lock horns over Amarnath infrastructure - Aug 23, 2012
- BJP raps government on Amarnath Yatra decision - May 16, 2012
- Amarnath yatra dates decided on religious calendar, says shrine board (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- No plans to construct motorable road to Amarnath shrine: Kashmir - Aug 19, 2012
- First Amarnath prayers offered, not at shrine (Lead) - Jun 15, 2011
- Amarnath pilgrimage registration to commence Tuesday - May 09, 2011
Tags: dubey, fundamentalist forces, general secretary, hindu shrine, jammu and kashmir, jammu and kashmir government, kashmir, kashmir valley, muslim groups, muslim leaders, muslim majority, national leaders, pilgrimage, pilgrims, separatist groups, shri, shrine board, south kashmir, unit chief, vishwa hindu parishad