VHP rejects Governments claim that Lord Rama destroyed Ram SethuJuly 28th, 2008 - 6:27 pm ICT by ANI
Coimbatore, July 28 (ANI): The Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) has rubbished the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) Governments assertion before the Supreme Court that the Ram Sethu or Adams bridge had been destroyed by Lord Ram himself.
The VHPs International President Ashok Singhal told media persons, the fact that Lord Ram destroyed the bridge is not mentioned anywhere in the Kamba Ramayan.
He further added that the Centre is doing such things to appease the Dravida Munnettra Kazhagam (DMK) leader and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi, whose party is a partner in the UPA coalition.
Singhal was replying to questions on the Union Government’’s stand on the Sethusamdudram Shipping Canal Project (SSCP).
VHP International General secretary Praveen Togadia, who was also present, said that the saints and Hindu leaders at a meeting at Haridwar had demanded that the Sethu be declared a historical monument.
Togadia also said, “Ram Sethu will be protected at any cost.”
The 560-million dollar project, approved by the government in 2005, plans to dredge a channel in a narrow strip of sea between India and Sri Lanka, reducing distances and cutting costs for freight traffic.
When the project is finished, ships sailing between India’’s Western and Eastern coasts will not have to go around the south of Sri Lanka, and is expected to save up to 36 hours of sailing time which would strengthen the Countrys economy by expanding International and maritime trade.
Hindu groups have been opposing the 560 million dollars project, saying it would destroy the ”holy” Ram Sethu, a 48-kilometre chain of limestone shoals that once linked Rameswaram in Tamil Nadu to Mannar in Sri Lanka.
Earlier, the Supreme Court had stopped construction work at Ram Sethu Project after a number of writ petition were filed seeking stoppage of demolition of the mythological bridge believed to have been constructed by Lord Rama.
The Tamil Nadu Government has requested the Centre not to shelve the Sethusamudram Shipping Canal Project because of the issues raised by some people for their political gain. (ANI)
- Declare Ram Sethu a national monument: Jayalalithaa - Mar 28, 2012
- Complete Sethusamudram project at earliest: DMK - Mar 29, 2012
- SC gives more time to centre on Palk Strait channel - Sep 03, 2012
- Quickly build Sethusamudram canal, says CPI-M (Lead) - Feb 12, 2010
- CPI-M youth wing strikes for implementation of Sethusamudram canal - Feb 12, 2010
- Centre says, Rama Sethu not a national monument - Jul 29, 2008
- Centre shies from naming Rama Sethu a national monument - Apr 19, 2012
- Sethusamudram canal work will be stopped, says Rajnath Singh - Apr 20, 2009
- Hindu activists to protest against Sethu Samundram in New Delhi today - Dec 30, 2007
- Government plans environmental study of Sethusamudram channel - Jan 14, 2010
- Ram temple, Hindu terror, Brahmaputra dam top VHP meet agenda(Lead) - Jan 07, 2011
- Union Govt. says Ram Sethu not a place of worship - Oct 14, 2008
- Parliament must empower Ram temple construction: VHP - Jan 09, 2011
- New alignment of Sethusamudram not feasible, court told (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- VHP seers meet in Ayodhya to decide on road ahead - Oct 20, 2010
Tags: adams bridge, ashok singhal, canal project, dmk leader, dravida, eastern coasts, hindu groups, hindu leaders, lord rama, m karunanidhi, praveen togadia, ram sethu, rameswaram, sailing time, sethu project, shipping canal, tamil nadu, vhps, vishwa hindu parishad, writ petition