VHP, Bajrang Dal call for shutdown in JammuMay 8th, 2009 - 12:50 pm ICT by ANI
Jammu, May 8 (ANI): The Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) and the Bajrang Dal on Friday called for a shutdown in protest against atrocities being committed on Hindus and Sikhs by the Taliban in Pakistan.
Appealing to the Indian Government to exert pressure on Pakistan against the Taliban, the activists blocked the Jammu-Pathankot Highway.
They also damaged vehicles and forced shopkeepers to down the shutters of their shops.
Incidents of violence were reported from some places. The police also beat up some protestors in Satwari.
The shutdown was announced after a meeting of representatives of about twenty social, political, trade and other organisations held here last evening.
The state unit of the BJP is also supporting the shutdown.
The Taliban demolished at least 11 houses belonging to the Sikh community on Thursday in the Orakzai Agency of the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) in Pakistan after they refused to pay ‘Jazia’.
Jazia was a tax imposed on non- Muslims for their protection during theMughal period but continues even today in some parts. (ANI)
- Sikhs in Pakistan seek compensation for terror losses - Feb 07, 2011
- Sikhs in Ambala protest atrocities on community in Pakistan - May 06, 2009
- Sikhs, Hindus protest outside Pakistan High Commission in New Delhi - May 20, 2009
- Protest in Jammu demanding fair treatment for Pakistani Sikhs - May 08, 2009
- Protests in Kashmir over atrocities against Sikhs in Pakistan - May 15, 2009
- Shutdown in Jammu to protest 'jaziya' by Taliban in Pakistan (Lead) - May 08, 2009
- Jammu shuts down against Taliban imposing jaziya in Pakistan - May 08, 2009
- Anti-Taliban protests rock Delhi, Uttar Pradesh - May 10, 2009
- BJP urges Pakistan Govt. to ensure safety of minorities in Taliban areas - May 04, 2009
- Vishwa Hindu Parishad protests order to demolish 39 temples in Ranchi - Aug 29, 2010
- Jammu observes shutdown against police action - Mar 17, 2012
- Kashmiri Sikhs protest against Rajoana's hanging - Mar 28, 2012
- BJP raps government on Amarnath Yatra decision - May 16, 2012
- Kashmir assembly condemns Pakistani Sikh's beheading (Lead) - Feb 23, 2010
- Tension defused; Delhi mosque site handed over to ASI (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
Tags: activists, atrocities, bajrang dal, bjp, damaged vehicles, hindus, indian government, jammu, muslims, organisations, pakistan, protestors, shutters, sikh community, sikhs, taliban, tribal areas, vhp, violence, vishwa hindu parishad