VCK activists protest against killings of fishermen by Lankan NavyJuly 12th, 2010 - 11:02 pm ICT by ANI
Chennai, July 12 (ANI): The Viduthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi (VCK) activists staged a protest outside the Sri Lankan Deputy High Commissioner’s office here on Monday against the alleged killing of Indian fishermen by the Sri Lankan Navy, while they were fishing in the sea.
The activists led by VCK General Secretary Thol Thirumavalavan raised slogans against the Sri Lankan Government and demanded that the Deputy High Commissioner’s office in the city be shut down immediately.
“We, the Dalit Panthers, strongly condemned the attitude of the Government of India. We demand that Government of India should change their attitude against Tamils and demand that the office of High Commission of Sri Lanka in Tamil Nadu be shut down,” said Thirumavalavan.
During the agitation, the protesters also said the Central Government should convey their concerns to Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajpaksa to put an end to the attacks.
Both the countries have a large swath of sea boundary, and Sri Lanka is located only 31 kilometres off the southern coast of India. (ANI)
- Regional Tamil party stages protest against Lankan Government in Chennai - Oct 22, 2009
- Indian MP refused entry into Sri Lanka - Feb 22, 2011
- Tamil activists demand speedy resettlement of refugees in Sri Lanka - Dec 14, 2009
- Vaiko taken into preventive custody ahead of Rajapaksa visit - Jun 08, 2010
- Tamil Nadu delegation leaves for Sri Lanka - Oct 10, 2009
- Tamil Nadu MPs to leave for Sri Lanka today - Oct 10, 2009
- Dalit Panthers block trains in Chennai protesting against killings in Sri Lanka - Oct 23, 2008
- All-party delegation to meet visiting Sri Lankan President Rajapaksa - Jun 07, 2010
- Government apologises after Ambedkar cartoon row (Second Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Tamil Nadu's regional party demands lifting of ban on LTTE - Jul 29, 2009
- Curtail visits by Sri Lankan dignitaries: Jayalalithaa - Mar 07, 2012
- Tamil groups protest against Sri Lankan delegation's visit to Coimbatore - Dec 04, 2010
- Sibal apologises after Ambedkar cartoon row rocks parliament (Third Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Sibal apologises after Ambedkar cartoon row rocks parliament (Fourth lead) - May 11, 2012
- Tamil Nadu's VCK asks Sonia Gandhi to press for Lanka cease-fire - Apr 08, 2009
Tags: activists protest, agitation, central government, chennai, dalit panthers, general secretary, government of india, high commission of sri lanka, high commissioner, indian fishermen, killings, mahinda, slogans, sri lankan government, sri lankan navy, sri lankan president, swath, tamils, thol, viduthalai