Vase discovery points to existence of Mary MagdaleneDecember 11th, 2008 - 1:56 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 11 (ANI): A team of archaeologists has discovered vases of perfumed ointment in the ancient Palestinian town of Magdala, which may have used by Mary Magdalene to anoint the feet of Jesus.
Many believe that Mary Magdalene was the woman described in the Gospel of St Luke who anointed the feet of Jesus with oil and then wiped them with her tears and hair.
She is also described as a prostitute and is also present at the foot of the Cross when Jesus is crucified and was also the first witness to see Christ following his Resurrection.
Now, according to a report in the Telegraph, archaeologists of the Franciscan academic society Studium Biblicum Franciscanum, have discovered vases linked to the woman.
They found the unopened vases dating to the first century AD conserved in mud at the bottom of a swimming pool in Magdalas thermal complex.
The town is on the western shore of the Sea of Galilee and Mary Magdalene is mentioned several times throughout the Bible.
The mud-filled condition of the site allowed us to find these truly extraordinary objects, which were intact and sealed and still contain greasy substances, said Father Stefano De Luca who is leading the dig.
We think these are balms and perfumes and if chemical analysis confirms this, they could be similar to those used by Mary Magdalene in the Gospels to anoint the feet of Christ, he added.
According to Father Stefano De Luca, The discovery of these vases is very important. We have in our hands the cosmetic products from the time of Jesus.
Its very likely that the woman who anointed Christs feet used these products, or ones similar in organic composition and quality, he added. (ANI)
- Scherzinger to star in 'Jesus Christ Superstar' - May 11, 2012
- Scherzinger to star in 'Jesus Christ Superstar' revival (Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Good Friday observed with prayers and fast - Apr 22, 2011
- How Philip Pullman's book split Jesus and Christ - Apr 29, 2010
- A 2,000-year-old cream belonging to an aristocrat discovered - Jul 12, 2009
- Russian court bans painting showing Mickey Mouse as Christ - Aug 20, 2011
- Great-grandmother of Jesus identified - Dec 10, 2010
- Where Jesus' language Aramaic lives on in Syrian village - Apr 22, 2012
- Jews not responsible for Jesus' death, says Pope - Mar 03, 2011
- Last Supper 'is commemorated a day late' - Apr 17, 2011
- Good Friday observed in Meghalaya - Apr 22, 2011
- Republican Congressman apologizes after skinny-dipping - Aug 21, 2012
- Man sees Jesus on Google Earth - Jul 05, 2010
- Pawan To Shoot In Jerusalem - Jul 08, 2010
- Playboy to cut ties with Portugal edition over pics of Jesus with nude models - Jul 10, 2010
Tags: academic society, archaeologists, balms, cosmetic products, de luca, feet of jesus, foot of the cross, gospels, magdala, mary magdalene, organic composition, palestinian town, perfumes, resurrection, sea of galilee, st luke, swimming pool, time of jesus, vase, vases