Varun Gandhi shifted to Etah jail for security reasonsApril 1st, 2009 - 12:47 pm ICT by ANI
Etah (UP), Apr 1 (ANI): Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Varun Gandhi, who was lodged in the district jail in Pilibhit in connection with a case pertaining to the alleged anti-Muslim remarks, was shifted to the Etah Jail late on Tuesday night for security reasons.
According to official sources, Varun was moved to avoid a law and order problem in Pilibhit.
On Tuesday, a petition was filed on behalf of Varun in the Allahabad High Court, challenging his detention under the National Security Act (NSA).
A Lucknow Division Bench will hear the petition on Thursday.
Earlier, Varun’s mother and former Union Minister Maneka Gandhi said the slapping of the NSA on him, for inciting violence, was a travesty of justice.She termed the imposition of the NSA as a “misuse of a serious law”.
Meanwhile, Samajwadi Party (SP) chief and former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mulayam Singh Yadav has termed the invoking of the NSA against Varun as “wrong” and misused “to settle political scores”.Yadav, however, said: “The move to frame charges under the NSA against Varun was a tactic by the BJP and the BSP to generate sympathy towards Varun. If the BJP-BSP are not having any sort of tacit understanding, then why was Varun not arrested before the roadshow,” he added. (ANI)
- Varun Gandhi gets bail but NSA keeps him behind bar - Mar 30, 2009
- Imposing NSA on Varun, a misuse of a serious law: Maneka Gandhi - Mar 30, 2009
- Advisory board terms NSA against Varun Gandhi invalid - May 08, 2009
- Supreme Court to hear Varun's plea challenging his detention under NSA - Apr 02, 2009
- UP govt. files petition challenging revocation of NSA on Varun Gandhi - May 12, 2009
- Varun Gandhi moves Supreme Court against his detention under NSA - Apr 01, 2009
- Congress, BSP trying to trap Varun Gandhi: Rajnath Singh (Lead) - Apr 01, 2009
- Supreme Court revokes NSA against Varun Gandhi - May 14, 2009
- SC to decide Varun Gandhi's fate on Monday - Apr 12, 2009
- Maneka Gandhi reaches Etah jail - Apr 16, 2009
- After BSP, Rahul Gandhi targets BJP - Dec 29, 2011
- Varun's plea hearing in Supreme Court postponed - Apr 13, 2009
- Supreme Court to hear Varun's plea against NSA today - Apr 13, 2009
- Varun Gandhi moves Supreme Court on National Security Act - May 13, 2009
- I will continue promoting 'nationalism': Varun - Apr 28, 2009
Tags: allahabad high court, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, bsp, chief minister, district jail, division bench, imposition, law and order, maneka gandhi, national security act, nsa, petition, roadshow, security reasons, tactic, tuesday night, union minister, varun gandhi, yadav