Varanasi scribes protest attack on mediaNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:19 am ICT by admin
“We request the Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh to issue some guidelines and ways to utilise the right to information, in order to collect news. We condemn the attack on journalists. I request the entire journalist community to unite and face such forces,” Pappu Mishra, a journalist, said.
Three television journalists were assaulted by Anant Singh and four of his associates after they had gone to the politician’s residence for a reaction in connection with a case of rape and murder of a woman.
Asian News International (ANI) cameraperson Ajay Kumar, NDTC correspondent Prakash Singh and his cameraman Habib Ali were injured in the incident.
It all started on Thursday when Prakash Singh went to Anant Singh’s residence to get his reaction to a story on the recovery of the body of a dead woman near Patna’s Patel Nagar area.
Supporters of Anant Singh, who were 20-25 in number, attacked the mediapersons, broke their cameras, watches and mobile phones.
The journalists were reportedly held captive for two hours. They managed to escape only after the arrival of the Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) on the scene.
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has ordered a CBI probe against Anant Singh and his associates.
They have been remanded to judicial custody till November 13. They are lodged in the high security Beur Jail. (ANI)
- Habib Faisal says stint as cameramen inspires his films - May 10, 2012
- Three Indian journalists killed in six months (Lead) - Jun 14, 2011
- Three Indian journalists killed: watchdog - Jun 14, 2011
- Two double murders leave Ludhiana shocked - Feb 03, 2012
- Jailor shot at, escapes unhurt - Jul 27, 2012
- Bihar shutdown successful, says Rabri Devi (lead: Bihar shutdown - Nov 14, 2007
- JD (U) MLA Anant Singh gets bail - Nov 14, 2007
- Shutdown affects normal life in Bihar - Nov 14, 2007
- RJD calls for 12-hour Bihar shutdown today - Nov 14, 2007
- Fake job racket, headed by Delhi Police constable, busted - Apr 30, 2012
- Minor set afire on charges of theft - Aug 01, 2011
- Anant Singh's bail petition comes for hearing today - Nov 14, 2007
- Former ministers asked to vacate house - Nov 25, 2011
- Haryana Police officer arrested for assaulting Chandigarh cop - Aug 20, 2012
- Joshi rallies to beat Girish - Dec 16, 2011
Tags: ajay kumar, anant singh, asian news, cbi probe, dead woman, deputy superintendent, dr manmohan singh, habib ali, hooliganism, journalist, judicial custody, ndtc, nitish kumar, pappu, patel nagar, prakash, protest attack, remanded, television journalists