Varanasi residents protest against theft at famous Vishwanath TempleOctober 27th, 2010 - 1:17 pm ICT by ANI
Varanasi (Uttar Pradesh), Oct. 27 (ANI): Residents of Varanasi took out a rally in protest against the administration’s failure to prevent a robbery at the famous Vishwanath Temple.
Sources said that a week ago, a traditional Indian silver Trident was stolen from the temple despite tight security.
The residents said this incident was unacceptable as the temple administration spends huge amounts of money for its safety and security.
“If things are stolen from somewhere else, it is a different matter. Despite tight security here at the temple, a theft has occurred. Lot of money is being spent on safety and security measures of the temple. In spite of this, if 2.5 kilograms of silver trident is being stolen, then it is not just a matter of trident being stolen, it is stealing of a body part of the deity,” said Avi Mukte Swaranand, a priest of the temple.
“Seven to eight days have passed, but the administration has not been able to find the thief or the trident. They have been unable to tell the people what steps are being taken in this matter, and therefore, it is natural for people to be angry,” Swaranand added.
The residents have demanded that the police look into the matter with some urgency. (ANI)
- Devotees attack authorities for missing silver slipper - Jul 28, 2011
- Kashi Vishwanath temple to get facelift, priests get pay hike - Jun 19, 2012
- Devotees converge on Puri for Jagannath festival - Jun 29, 2012
- Devotees lament hike in temple fees at Kashi Vishwanath Temple - Jul 07, 2010
- Three burglars held in Delhi - Jan 29, 2011
- Chinese woman helps arrest thief in Metro train - Feb 21, 2012
- Hindus celebrate Maha Shivratri - Mar 02, 2011
- Theft at Maharashtra temple, guard killed - Mar 24, 2012
- Kashi Vishwanath temple security to be beefed up - Mar 31, 2011
- Probe launched after woman paraded in Bengal - Jan 20, 2011
- Yet another theft in Maharashtra's village without locks - Feb 06, 2011
- Bradley Wiggins' training kit stolen from Surrey hotel - Aug 01, 2012
- Weeklong Kullu Dussehra festivities end - Oct 12, 2011
- Security beefed up in Varanasi ahead of New Year Eve - Dec 30, 2010
- Himachal to turn temple gold into mementoes - Jul 08, 2012
Tags: deity, eight days, failure, indian silver, kilograms, money, protest, rally, robbery, safety and security, security measures, spite, temple sources, thief, tight security, trident, urgency, uttar pradesh, vishwanath temple