Vaiko quits AIADMK alliance over seat sharing disagreementMarch 20th, 2011 - 3:43 pm ICT by ANI
Chennai, Mar. 20 (ANI): : The Marumalarchi Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (MDMK) today decided against contesting assembly elections in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry.
Led by Vaiko, the MDMK said that it was breaking its long term alliance with Jayalalithaa’All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) over a disagreement over seat sharing for the polls. The MDMK wanted 21 seats but Jayalalithaa was willing to give only 12.
Tamil Nadu goes to the polls on April 13.
During the last elections, the MDMK had contested 35 seats. Vaiko was demanding 31 seats, but Jayalalithaa was not in a generous mood.
Jayalalithaa has roped in actor Vijaykanth, whose DMDK was given 41 seats and that accounts for the paltry seats offered to Vaiko’s party. Other allies like CPI(M) and CPI lost one seat each.
“AIADMK’s approach towards MDMK has hurt our cadres,” said Vaiko.
The MDMK has a vote share of around 4.5 percent share in Tamil Nadu. (ANI)
- AIADMK releases list of 160 candidates for TN polls - Mar 21, 2011
- Tamil Nadu polls: Allies urge Vaiko to reconsider boycott - Mar 21, 2011
- Tamil Nadu polls: AIADMK finalises agreement with CPI (M) - Mar 19, 2011
- Vaiko slams Congress for links with DMK despite corruption charges. - Feb 24, 2011
- TN polls: EC issues notice to Jayalalithaa, Vijayakanth - Apr 07, 2011
- Presidential poll voting ends in Puducherry, still on in Tamil Nadu - Jul 19, 2012
- Filing of nomination for TN, Puducherry and Kerala to end today - Mar 26, 2011
- AIADMK wins Pudukottai by-election in Tamil Nadu - Jun 15, 2012
- MDMK breaks away from AIADMK, to boycott elections - Mar 20, 2011
- AIADMK saves alliance, DMDK agrees to list - Mar 20, 2011
- AIADMK signs eighth seat-sharing pacts - Mar 11, 2011
- MDMK quits AIADMK alliance, to boycott elections (Lead) - Mar 20, 2011
- Fissures in alliance, Jayalalithaa puts off poll campaign - Mar 18, 2011
- AIADMK, CPI-M in talks on seat sharing - Feb 19, 2011
- AIADMK alliance committed to overthrow Congress-DMK compile in assembly polls: Vaiko - Jan 01, 2011